This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 9.10 fails after GRUB with blank screen

Upgrade of Kubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 failed, firstly after on-line upgrade, then after fresh install from live CD. The install process seemed to complete successfully, but after the final restart the system hung on a black (blank) screen after GRUB. Tried all the recovery mode tricks I could find, but no luck. Installed Ubuntu 9.10 and got the same result: blank screen after GRUB. I notice quite a few other people have had same problem with various hardware including laptops. Mine is P4 3GHz with 1Gb RAM. I restored life to this computer by re-installing 9.04 and it works fine now - I got my screen and system back. What's wrong with Ubuntu & Kubuntu 9.10 ?

Re: Kubuntu 9.10 fails after GRUB with blank screen

That's a video framebuffer problem -- review #2 in the FAQs in my signature.

Comment

Re: Kubuntu 9.10 fails after GRUB with blank screen

Thanks for the prompt reply dibl, I read your FAQ #2, which suggests trial & error approach to modifying the kernel boot codes. This looks tedious and time consuming, and I haven't tried it yet. Since I have 9.04 restored and the computer operational again, is there a way to interrogate the system to find out exactly what code is required to make 9.10 work ? The 1920x1080 screen is being driven by a Radeon 9250 128Mb card.

Comment

Working...
      X