This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu will not boot on Dual boot Vista and Kubuntu 9.10 laptop

I have a HP laptop running Vista with 2 hard disks and am trying to install Kubuntu 9.1 (64 bit version). I have successfully tried Kubuntu using the Live CD, loved it and wanted to install it on to the hard disk.

However, after Grub loads up and I choose Kubuntu as the OS to load up - it goes to a black screen and everything goes quiet i.e. the hard disc is not spinning. Please can anyone help?

This is my first exposure to Linux but this is what I have done so far:

- Loaded up installer on CD and used it to create a new 34GB partition of EXT4 format, also created a second 10GB partition for swap
    - Installation goes fine and laptop reboots, grub loads up with options for Kubuntu and for Vista
    - Choose Kubuntu and the screen goes blank
    - Tried using EasyBCD with NeoGrub but get same blank screen
    - Tried using EasyBCD but with manual entry specifying grub is not on boot sector option - this time on reboot it ends up at the - Grub command line

I've trying to solve this for a while now but am now stuck....anyone have any ideas?

Re: Kubuntu will not boot on Dual boot Vista and Kubuntu 9.10 laptop

Potentially, this is a graphics problem. What graphics card is in your rig?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Its a NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS

Could it be a graphics problem even if Kubuntu works fine from the Live CD?

Comment

Yes. There are plenty of posts here in KFN on this. In particular, you should take a look atTop 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers#2.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X