Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual boot with Windows XP and Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, Windows won't boot.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual boot with Windows XP and Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, Windows won't boot.

Okay guys, I've got a Gateway laptop with an 80gb hard drive and a majority of the hard drive is partitioned for Windows xp. While around 20gb or so is for Kubuntu 9.10. Kubuntu after a few tries now loads and works, and that is what I'm in right now. Although everytime I try to boot Windows XP it appears as if it's working with the Windows XP loading screen but then it goes black and stays that way.

I first installed Windows XP as I was told to do and then installed Kubuntu. When Grub loads, it shows Ubuntu(really Kubuntu) as the first option then below that the recovery mode, and then below that something else and then at the bottom it shows Windows XP Home Edition, and then there is a thing that say dev/sda1.

Now I'm kinda new to linux, only have used it for a month or so, so please keep your answers simple. I have gotten familiar with the Konsole and kinda have the gist of how it works, but I'm no expert. I just want to be able to boot both operating systems so I can have the awesomeness that is Kubuntu and the compatibility that is Windows. (I.E. Online games that use OpenGL and only work with Windows unless you do a huge amount of editing.)

Re: Dual boot with Windows XP and Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, Windows won't boot.

I beleve if your seeing the windows boot screen then it goes blank and stops loading you may have a corupted NTFS file system..........that neads chkdsk /f run on it.

this can be done from windows safe moad comand prompt or the recovery console from the windows CD

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Re: Dual boot with Windows XP and Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, Windows won't boot.

I can't get into Windows Safe mode. I'm only given the option to start windows xp when I'm in grub.
      As for the recovery CD, would I eventually have to reinstall Kubuntu? I sure hope not, it's working better now than before when I had Kubuntu as my sole operating system.

Comment

you CAN sill get windows safe moad.........I just did it on my XP LL dool boot box

as soon as you hit enter in grub to chose XP start hiting the F8 key and you will get windows safe moad.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
          X