Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOLVED: Boot problem with Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-20-generic : Anyone else?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED: Boot problem with Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-20-generic : Anyone else?

Got a bunch of auto updates yesterday, one of which was Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-20-generic
    Shut the machine down last night and this morning when I booted it got to the grub menu and then rebooted. Just kept cycling through boot -> grub -> Reboot -> grub .... until I stopped it at the grub menu and chose the older kernel (Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-19-generic).
    So...anyone else? What's up with the update?
    I edited my /boot/grub/menu.lst to point to the working kernel, but curious what's up with 2.6.31-20

Dont pretend you havent noticed my cardboard box, Julia, because I know you have!

Re: Boot problem with Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-20-generic : Anyone else?

Bumping this because I just did another update and got both 2.6.31-20-generic and 2.6.31-21-generic kernels.
    With either my machine (thinkpad T500) just boot cycles.
    Anyone else?
    Dont pretend you havent noticed my cardboard box, Julia, because I know you have!

Comment

Check to see how much space you have left on your root partion.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        Check to see how much space you have left on your root partion.
        I kinda thought about that, but I've basically got everything on / so it shouldn't be a problem
        Code:
        $df -h
        Filesystem      Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
        /dev/sda1       142G 103G  39G 73% /
        I just did a trial run -- booting to 2.6.31-19 works like a charm
        Booting to 2.6.31-20 gives me endless reboot cycles.
        Booting to 2.6.31-21 gives me "Decompression error"

Comment

If you have Synaptic Package Manager installed, use it to uninstall the two kernels (search on 2.6.31-20-generic and 2.6.31.21-generic respectively) and mark for complete removal. When finished, mark the -20-generic for installation. Test it when it's done.

It could be that the update for these two kernels (for you) was 'messed up' and/or didn't finish correctly.

Comment

You were right -- that worked.
            Weird, wonder what went wrong in the updates.
            Makes me nervous about hitting that "An upgrade to Kubuntu 10.04 LTS" button that appeard this afternoon.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by devnulljp
              Makes me nervous about hitting that "An upgrade to Kubuntu 10.04 LTS" button that appeard this afternoon.

Thanks
              You're welcome. I myself am going to wait for a while before I think about moving to Lucid. My Karmic OS is working just fine, thank you very much. "If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

Comment

Working...
              X