Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clean install, asks for username and password?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean install, asks for username and password?

Sorry if this is a repost, total noob right here. But I did a clean install of Kubuntu 9.10 and when getting to the login page is asks for a username and password. I was never asked to pick a username or password soo.. I'm not sure what to do? My initial thought was to pick it out, so I did and pressed enter, but both boxes flash then turn white for a second, before the password disapearing. Not sure whats going on, very frustrating.. hope someone can walk me through this step by step, thanks.

Re: Clean install, asks for username and password?

Originally posted by MissKDJ
    I was never asked to pick a username or password...
    Not possible in a 'new' install. You are prompted to provide a username and a password. How did you install? Is this a wubi installation?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Not sure what a wubi installation is? I had a free disk sent to me, put it in the drive and clicked install. I had trouble installing it, crashed once, could that of caused it?

Comment

some times those free disk's are bad.......when you boot the disk thar should be a option to check disk run that and then run in live moad ....no change to computer and see if it will run..

and what are the specks of the computer your trying to run it on?

and dose it allreadey have a OS on it ........depending on what you did the first time it may not eneymore!!

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yes, I clicked the check for disk errors, it came up clean. And it did have a previous OS system, Xp. It's an older Toshiba Satellite, that originaly ran Millennium on it. Another thought that occured to me was perhaps because its an older laptop, that it wont be able to stand the install.

Comment

Originally posted by MissKDJ
            Yes, I clicked the check for disk errors, it came up clean. And it did have a previous OS system, Xp. It's an older Toshiba Satellite, that originaly ran Millennium on it. Another thought that occured to me was perhaps because its an older laptop, that it wont be able to stand the install.
            thats whay I asked for the specks......you will nead at least 256-RAM to run KDE.

agin what are the specks?

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Satellite 2805-S201 Mobile Intel Celeron processor 650MHz, 64MBSDRAM, expandable to 350MB, and a 6BB HDD

I guess that answered my question.

Comment

with onley 64MB -RAM I'm suprised even XP would run...............however if you could bump it up I have 2 boxes that run Karmic with 383-RAM and 555-600 Mhz CPU's just fine.

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Yep, not enough RAM as vinny pointed out. You will not be able to run a graphical *buntu on this rig. There are other Linux OS's that you could run on this 'minimal' machine - Puppy Linux being one - that you could try. Your other option, if it's available, is to increase the RAM in your PC to at least 256M; more would be even better. If your rig won't accommodate more RAM, well...
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                  X