This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netbook problem

On my ASUS EeePC 1000 HE I have Ubuntu in dual boot with XP Home.

Lately I have lost "something" - the keyboard - so really it is of no use. Can't upgrade, can't do what I want: Switch to Kubuntu netbook edition.

The best maybe is reinstall, but when I first installed Ubuntu on the Netbook, I lost XP; that is, XP was reinstalled, so I lost the little installing etc. I had done in XP.

Any ideas how I can get my keyboard to work again in the Ubuntu netbook edition?

Re: Netbook problem

Are you able to boot into Recovery (single user) mode? This puts you at a command line prompt - x isn't started. Do you have a functioning keyboard then?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Are you able to boot into Recovery (single user) mode? This puts you at a command line prompt - x isn't started. Do you have a functioning keyboard then?
      Yes, so the problem have to be in the "kdm" part of Ubuntu?

Comment

KDM and/or the DE (Desktop Environment) after you log in.

A quick way to check on this, is while booted in recovery mode, is to rename your users .kde directory and then reboot.
        Code:
        mv ~/.kde ~/.kde_NOKEYBOARD
        If you have a functioning keyboard at the KDM login screen...

If you do not have a functioning keyboard at the KDM login screen, reboot again into recovery mode and rename ~/.kde_NOKEYBOARD back to ~/.kde as the cause of your problem isn't with the user configuration settings.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          KDM and/or the DE (Desktop Environment) after you log in.

A quick way to check on this, is while booted in recovery mode, is to rename your users .kde directory and then reboot.
          Code:
          mv ~/.kde ~/.kde_NOKEYBOARD
          If you have a functioning keyboard at the KDM login screen...

If you do not have a functioning keyboard at the KDM login screen, reboot again into recovery mode and rename ~/.kde_NOKEYBOARD back to ~/.kde as the cause of your problem isn't with the user configuration settings.
          No directory with that name.

Probably because I don't have KDE?

At the time I installed there was (as far as I could find) no Kubuntu for netbook. Now there is, so I want to change to KDE.

Maybe I can do that from recovery mode, and fix the keyboard problem that way?

EDIT:

At long last, I have put my netbook on a wired Internet connection, opened the security, started the rescue console with Internet connection and:

Code:
          sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
          Code:
          sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop
          chosen kde as my environment, and voila, I the keyboard works just fine. The desktop is much prettier, and given time, I will remove some of the programs left over.

Still some small issues, but if they don't get resolved, I'll get back to that under the proper headings.

Comment

Working...
          X