• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can't shutdown from KDE environment

yeah, I always check md5sum.

Comment

To reinstate the panel (which itself is a widget) right click and unlock widgets. Then right click again and add panel.

If it winds up at the top of the screen right click on it and select panel options/panel settings and a bar will appear across the top showing a number of things, one of which is screen edge, Click on it and drag to where you want the panel to go. Then right click on the panel and select add widgets and you will be presented with a load of options to add - application launcher (the Kmenu and system tray amongst them). Quick access ones are very useful. Have a play installing them.

Moving them on the panel - panel options panel settings will turn your mouse pointer into a cross-hair appear over your panel icons with which you can click and drag each one into position.

Very important, when you have set it up as you want it right click on the desktop and select lock widgets otherwise it's easy to delete the lot!

HTH

Comment

Nothing happens when I right click. When I login, I have the background walpaper and that is it. I load programs with ALT+F2 and ALT + TAB to swap between them. I have nothing else

Comment

I had assumed this problem had been previously fixed but maybe not.

Try opening a terminal and typing

Code:
          sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop
          what output do you get?

Comment

Try reinstalling the desktop:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
              I had assumed this problem had been previously fixed but maybe not.

Try opening a terminal and typing

Code:
              sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop
              what output do you get?
              I tried this, first in the line of suggestions, and it worked! I have a desktop that manages programs and actually shuts down. No more typing shutdown -h now for me!

I've tried reinstalling amarok: sudo aptitude reinstall amarok

but this does not help.. However, I can live without it for a few more week. Hopefully the upgrade to 10.4 will clean that up.

Thanks very much to all that contributed to this thread and helped out

Comment

Excellent

Glad it worked

Amarok. Try launching amarok from within a terminal. What output do you get?

Comment

KCrash: Application 'amarok' crashing...
                  sock_file=/home/mogweh/.kde/socket-Bunty/kdeinit4__0
                  <unknown program name>(2827)/: Communication problem with "amarok" , it probably crashed.
                  Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown" : " "The name org.kde.amarok was not provided by any .service files" "

Comment

Ouch!

The only thing I can suggest is to uninstall amarok from within synaptic to remove amarok using the "purge" option. Then delete the folder home/.kde/share/apps/amarok. If you haven't already tried that second option that might in fact be worth a go first. You might find assistance here

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/amarok-2.3.0

This will give you the latest amarok.

Unfortunately I have no other ideas as to how you can make it work.

Sorry, but at least you've got KDE up and running

Comment

Working...
                    X