This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE sporadic boot problem

Been experiencing a sporadic boot problem with KDE.

After the login screen, the KDE boot screen comes on with a hard disk icon the first icon shown on the boot process.

I have had the KDE boot freeze at this point. No further icons shown and the boot essentially stops. I have waited many minutes on a couple of these occasions just to make sure that some slow process wasn't happening.

The only cure is the power switch - turn the unit off and wait 10 to 15 seconds and power on again.

In the past, the problem disappeared on the re-boot.

Today for the first time, the problem re-occurred on the re-boot.

The second re-boot worked.

This is Kubuntu 9.10.

Is this a known problem or is it known if anybody else has experienced this problem.

It is not what I would call a "critical" problem since the power down and re-boot solves the hang and it only occurs occasionally, maybe once a month or so.

But is it maybe a symptom of a deeper problem??

Re: KDE sporadic boot problem

Is there anything in the syslog at the time the boot froze?

Comment

Originally posted by geezer

The only cure is the power switch - turn the unit off and wait 10 to 15 seconds and power on again.

Not likely. Next time, try Alt-SysRq R-S-E-I-U-B. Every time you do that with power switch, you risk damaging the filesystem. It might already be damaged.

It is probably a video-related problem. Look at the log at /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and see what the lines that begin with [EE] say -- those are error messages related to starting the X server.

Comment

Not too sure. Not too sure of the exact time the freeze happened.

In looking at the the file "/var/log/syslog.1", there are approximately 2800 lines in the file at the time I think it may have happened.

Is there something specific to look for?

Comment

Wrong log. Look for Xorg.0.log -- that's the one that tells about the X server startup.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            Originally posted by geezer

Not likely. Next time, try Alt-SysRq R-S-E-I-U-B. Every time you do that with power switch, you risk damaging the filesystem. It might already be damaged.

It is probably a video-related problem. Look at the log at /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and see what the lines that begin with [EE] say -- those are error messages related to starting the X server.
            Only such line is:

(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory

Does that help?

Comment

.... Next time, try Alt-SysRq R-S-E-I-U-B.
              What does that key sequence accomplish? Are the caps required? Or does r-s-e-i-u-b also work?

Comment

It allows the Linux system to shut down and restart in a graceful manner. Here's more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

Comment

It allows the Linux system to shut down and restart in a graceful manner. Here's more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
                  Thanks - such information is always welcome.

Comment

Working...
                  X