This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Restore Grub

I just upgraded my dual boot system from vista to 7 but now i can't get the grub boot loader. i know that the windows install overwrites the MBR and you have to reinstall the grub with a live cd but every time i try i get an error message or it says it was successful but then when i reboot it boots right into windows. is there something i'm missing!!!!?!?! Thanks in advance - Tom
    Acer Aspire 5810TZ - Debian Sid (KDE 4.5.3)/Mac OS X 10.6.3<br />*Intel Pentium SU2700 @ 1.3GHz, 3 gig DDR3 RAM, Intel GMA x4500*<br /><br />Custom Desktop - Kubuntu 10.10 (KDE 4.6.1)<br />*2x Dual-Core Intel Xeon @3.2GHz, 3 gig RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT*<br /><br />iPod Touch 4th Gen - iOS 4.1 (Greenpois0n Jailbreak)<br />*

Re: Restore Grub

hear check this

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

and this

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0

thare are allso ways to use the windows loader to boot Kubuntu but I cant find the links now.........you can google it.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

you also might want to look in to reinstalling grub via the "grub live disk" (google it)
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Windows7 creates and uses a separate boot partition to boot the OS. Where does grub point to for the Windows boot?
        Boot Info Script

Comment

You can try to re-install GRUB (from a Live Kubuntu Cd using the how-to's), then check that Windows is included in the boot menu (as per verndog's comment).

Options here:
          The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista, 7, and XP step-by-step
          http://apcmag.com/dualboot
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I tried the live cd thing and it didn't work for me... and then i tried the Super grub disk and did something and it destroyed my windows partition... so now i just have a linux machine
            Acer Aspire 5810TZ - Debian Sid (KDE 4.5.3)/Mac OS X 10.6.3<br />*Intel Pentium SU2700 @ 1.3GHz, 3 gig DDR3 RAM, Intel GMA x4500*<br /><br />Custom Desktop - Kubuntu 10.10 (KDE 4.6.1)<br />*2x Dual-Core Intel Xeon @3.2GHz, 3 gig RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT*<br /><br />iPod Touch 4th Gen - iOS 4.1 (Greenpois0n Jailbreak)<br />*

Comment

Originally posted by 14tjoyce
              I tried the live cd thing and it didn't work for me... and then i tried the Super grub disk and did something and it destroyed my windows partition... so now i just have a linux machine
              That doesn't sound right. Are you sure it destroyed the partition and not a pointer to it?

Boot with a LiveCD if you can't boot from kubuntu you installed. Then from places see if your Windows partitions is still there.
              Boot Info Script

Comment

When i can boot with a live cd or through the super grub disk i can boot my linux partition and the windows partition does not show up in either. and when i use a partition utility it just shows that partition as a "unknown or unsupported" partition... and i installed ubuntu 9.10 on a different partition so i now have grub back...

Comment

Using your linux install, what's the output form this command:

Code:
                  sudo fdisk -l
                  Boot Info Script

Comment

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
                    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
                    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
                    Disk identifier: 0x424dbb4e

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                    /dev/sda1 * 1 37596 301989838+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
                    /dev/sda2 37597 38913 10578802+ 5 Extended
                    /dev/sda5 37597 38851 10080756 83 Linux
                    /dev/sda6 38852 38913 497983+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Comment

It appears your right. Somehow Windows7 recovery partition is missing unless you somehow manage to install Windows7 under one partition. I guessing Windows7 came pre-installed. Do you have Windows7 recovery disk? All may not be lost.
                      Boot Info Script

Comment

Since 7 came out, I've seen both cases--with and without a separate recovery partition. With a separate recovery partition, I've seen instances where to boot 7, you have to point GRUB to the recovery partition. Inconsistent impressions I have of how 7 is installed.
                        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I do have a recovery disk and when i try to use it does not find the Windows Operating System. It wants to install the operating system again.

Comment

Working...
                          X