Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9.10 default keyring not loading - no networking or sound.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9.10 default keyring not loading - no networking or sound.

Hello,

I've just turned my main machine on (standard 9.10 install) and have discovered that it refuses to go online or use the sound card. When I shut the machine down last night, it was working fine, now it isn't, forcing me to use this old laptop with a dodgy hard drive.

From what I can tell, the only obvious thing that has changed is that the dialogue to type in the password for the default keyring no longer opens upon logging in. I didn't make any changes to the system on last use and didn't get around to installing the single security update that I was prompted to.

Ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 9.10 default keyring not loading - no networking or sound.

Hi Captain,

Do you use a wired connection for the main machine? Can you open konsole and type ping www.google.com ? You should see lines scrolling once a second or so, printing things like

Code:
    leo@grisell:~$ ping [url]www.google.com[/url]
    PING [url]www.l.google.com[/url] (66.249.90.104) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from lga15s04-in-f104.1e100.net (66.249.90.104): icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=31.4 ms
    64 bytes from lga15s04-in-f104.1e100.net (66.249.90.104): icmp_seq=2 ttl=51 time=34.1 ms
    64 bytes from lga15s04-in-f104.1e100.net (66.249.90.104): icmp_seq=3 ttl=51 time=32.2 ms
    64 bytes from lga15s04-in-f104.1e100.net (66.249.90.104): icmp_seq=4 ttl=51 time=32.1 ms
    64 bytes from lga15s04-in-f104.1e100.net (66.249.90.104): icmp_seq=5 ttl=51 time=32.0 ms
    64 bytes from lga15s04-in-f104.1e100.net (66.249.90.104): icmp_seq=6 ttl=51 time=32.2 ms
    64 bytes from lga15s04-in-f104.1e100.net (66.249.90.104): icmp_seq=7 ttl=51 time=31.5 ms
    A wired (ethernet) connection should really work automatically on boot. But if it doesn't, I'd recommend booting in Rescue Mode, choosing the option to have a "root login with network connection", and trying to run the following:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    It seems to me that something your hard drive went poop, because you haven't changed anything since the last time it worked. Anyways, hope this helps!
    Leo

Comment

Thanks lmilano for your help. In answer to your questions:

Originally posted by lmilano
      Do you use a wired connection for the main machine? Can you open konsole and type ping www.google.com ? You should see lines scrolling once a second or so, printing things like
      I do, but I now get:

>ping google.com
      ping: unknown host google.com

>ping 192.168.1.1 (my router)
      connect: Network is unreachable

A wired (ethernet) connection should really work automatically on boot.
      As it used to I always had to enter the default keyring password for it to work, but after that it was fine.

But if it doesn't, I'd recommend booting in Rescue Mode, choosing the option to have a "root login with network connection", and trying to run the following:

Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      It seems to me that something your hard drive went poop, because you haven't changed anything since the last time it worked. Anyways, hope this helps!
      Leo
      Took me a bit to get into rescue mode (had to do some digging on Grub 2), but after I did, set the networking up and am now downloading the updates. Will report afterwards with an update.

Comment

Update: no difference after doing 'sudo apt-get update' and 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'.

Hmm.

Comment

Too bad! you could try from rescue mode "apt-get install kubuntu-desktop". If that doesn't work, maybe try wicd (apt-get install wicd), hopefully wicd doesn't need any keyring magic?

Comment

Thanks - I'll give that a shot once I've finished installing the Ubuntu Desktop packages.

It's clearly not a machine-wide problem as once I configure manually from the shell, it's fine, so I'm hoping that if I can't fix Kubuntu, I can revert to using Ubuntu without having to do a full system install.

It's so frustrating - this has been the first time that I've been able to install Kubuntu and use it fully for a while without issue and without wanting to switch back to Ubuntu, but I've hit this snag, which, like every attempt previously, has been a show-stopper for me. At least I've been on Ubuntu since its first release, so the underlying system is great.

Comment

Okay, reinstalling kubuntu-desktop failed, as it didn't have anything new to install or update.

As for using ubuntu-desktop as my desktop, after setting up the network connection through the GUI, restarted the machine and the machine goes online without issue.

There's a couple of minor annoyances that are hangovers from the Kubuntu configuration, but the main thing is that the machine is now online. As it's only a could of months away until Lucid comes out, I'm going to carry on like this (or at least, until I get time to try to fix Kubuntu).

Thanks again for your help, lmilano - even if I haven't been able to fix it, it's made me learn about Grub2 and a couple of other things.

Comment

I am glad you are up and running, even if we didn't really fix it.Maybe waiting for Lucid is the best call, yes. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                X