This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't replace or even just remove the kubuntu boot splash

I'd like the Xubuntu splash screen because it's cuter and I use Xfce every now and then. I do get it on shutdown, albeit with a broken colour scheme - and the "pulsing" is super-fast and won't start until a half-second before power-off. (This, it seems, can be remedied by removing the vga= parameter and going with 80x25 ttys. Ugh.) During boot there's always the Kubuntu logo with the "left-right-wandering light" (never an ordinary progress bar), even though I don't think I have any Kubuntu splashes installed.

Installed packages include:
    usplash-theme-xubuntu
    xubuntu-artwork
    xubuntu-artwork-usplash
    usplash

Not installed packages include:
    kubuntu-desktop
    kubuntu-default-settings
    kubuntu-artwork-usplash
    xsplash

When I uninstall all splashes I still get the Kubuntu splash, and the "wandering light" progress bar continues in a triplicate higher-resolution miniature version into the KDM login screen and then the KDE session, which suffers some sort of total colour palette failure shortly after. (Maybe that's to do with xsplash?)

Re: Can't replace or even just remove the kubuntu boot splash

Sorry, double post

Comment

The usplash theme is included in the initramfs loaded at boot, so you may need to update your initramfs to see the xubuntu splash.

Code:
      sudo update-initramfs -u
      Report back if that doesn't help.

Comment

Wonderful! That did it. Although I think I saw that command running during package installations... but this time I used the -k parameter to specific the kernel I'm actually using. Seems that also fixed another problem I had (my chosen console font didn't "stick"). Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X