This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusable kde fonts from upgrade from kubuntu jaunty to karmic

I just upgraded from kubuntu jaunty to karmic. During the process, I go a message about missing fonts, but didn't have a working Internet connection to let it get what it needed.

Now, when I start kde, the default font appears to be larger than 60 points making the whole desktop completely unusable (so I can't fix anything from within kde.)

During user login, I can select gnome and it has no problem, so I can get in and edit things, etc.

Where can I find a configuration file, etc. that will let me fix the font size that kde uses?

What fonts/resources am I missing that caused this and potentially other problems?

TIA

Joe
    kubuntu Xenial - Toshiba i3 and Toshiba i7 Notebooks

Re: Unusable kde fonts from upgrade from kubuntu jaunty to karmic

[Solved] Huge fonts in Kubuntu 9.10 make me unable to do anything
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks a lot! That solved most of the problem. Now, after I login to kde, everything is fine.

The only remaining problem is that this did not fix my login screen which works, but is still unreadable because it still has the huge fonts. What I think I need to do is find the same parameter in a system level file and fix it there too. But, I don't know where it might be.

There's a parameter forceFontDPI in my user directory, but I don't know if it is elsewhere in the system.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Joe

Comment

As root, edit /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc and in the [X-*-Greeter] section, look at:

FailFont=Sans Serif,10,-1,5,75,0,0,0,0,0
        and
        GreetFont=Serif,20,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
        and
        StdFont=Sans Serif,10,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
        These are my settings, and all works as it should. Compare your settings to these.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

If indeed it's the DPI going haywire (such as caused by your reported screen dimensions not being sane), you can also edit said kdmrc file and add a '-dpi <dpi>' argument to be called when starting the X server, forcing it to use the dpi of choice. 96 seems to be the de facto standard, making it;

Code:
          ServerArgsLocal=-br -nolisten tcp -dpi 96
          Just do a textual search for ServerArgsLocal to find the line. It should be under the [X-:*-Core] section, if memory serves.
          KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

Thanks all.

The thing that finally fixed it was adding the nomodeset option to my kernel line in grub's menu.lst

Joe

Comment

Working...
            X