This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Kubuntu on External HDD

I've been trying to install Kubuntu on an external USB powered HDD for some time, but without success.

I have an external USB powered HDD, on which I was successfully using 'Ubuntu' for sometime and then I tried to move to Kubuntu.

I removed the internal HDD from my laptop and plugged the external one in the USB port (so that the grub doesn't install on my internal, and later on I'm able to boot my windows without the external plugged in). Popped in Kubuntu 9.10 live CD, and did a complete install on one of my partitions on the external.

Now when I boot from USB (even with or without the internal HDD connected), the boot fails, it either hands midway or it shows me some error (I'll give the exact error text soon).

I'm using Ext3 FS for Kubuntu.

Is there anything anyone can point out that I'm doing wrong or some specific step/setting that I need to make.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Re: Installing Kubuntu on External HDD

What OS are you running on your laptop? What are you using to install Kubuntu on the external HDD?

I have a Netbook with XP installed on the internal HDD. I used UNetbootin to install Kubuntu on a portable USB HDD, it boots from USB with no difficulty.

I followed the steps outlined on the UNetbootin website and there was no need to remove the internal drive during the process (which is still running unmodified XP boot and OS).
    Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Finally figured it out from other posts on the forum.
      Thanks for your help

Comment

We are all happy that you found answers, especially here in KFN. But just saying you did, without telling us what it was, or at least identifying the other threads you found here that helped you, does nothing for others who, having a similar problem, read this thread thinking they can gain some useful information.

KFN is a community of Kubuntu users who are about helping each other. We all gain from the experiences of others. So, please either describe what you did to resolve your issue, or as stated above, post links to the other threads you found here in KFN that you followed/used.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I agree Snowhog. I don't have the problem, but I was interested in the answer. I do have an external Seagate HD I may one day want to do a Kubuntu install too. Thanks Quarkslot for the link I had not heard about. It sounds interesting and I will check it out.

By the way, Hi to all. I'm a newbie to Linux and this forum. Been a long time Windows user. Still have an IBM PS 2 sitting on a shelf with DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 added. My favorite has been Windows XP (most familiar with it) and I have another old computer with Windows 98 and Windows ME updated. (Windows ME :-X ) After I do a search, if I can't find the answer I may raise it. Never could install Kubuntu and connect to the internet. Ubuntu and Kubuntu is so user UNFRIENDLY when it comes to people on dialup. You'd think dialup would be a part of the install process and/or an option for install. BUT I am trying out Kubuntu via VMWARE player as a virtual guest on a computer whose host OS is Windows Vista (YUCKY!!! XP was so much nicer.) Anyway thanks to VMWARE player I can try out Kubuntu on the net using my dialup on Vista as a network connection. VMWARE did all the work. So now here visiting this very nice site using Konqueror browser in Ubuntu 9.04 as an SO in a virtual VMPLAYER setting on a computer running Windows Vista as the host OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Greycoat
            ..., if I can't find the answer I may raise it. Never could install Kubuntu and connect to the internet. Ubuntu and Kubuntu is so user UNFRIENDLY when it comes to people on dialup. You'd think dialup would be a part of the install process and/or an option for install....
            Greycoat, maybe study this tutorial on using Ubuntu thru a dial-up connection.
            Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog
              Greycoat, maybe study this tutorial on using Ubuntu thru a dial-up connection.
              Thank you verndog. I will check it out. I did a lot of "research" going to Ubuntu, Linmodem.org,, and doing the scanmodem test on my modem along with trying WVdial. I note AFTER I connected to the internet via VMware player to update Kubuntu I THEN could download a KPPP Internet tool which would have perhaps been nice to have BEFORE one's first connection to the internet so one can connected without having to go the route I did. I understand that the drivers for modems are proprietary, but darn Ubuntu seems to "dis" dialup users from the get-go and I suspect most in the world (Third World at least) are just as poor as I am LOL and don't have Broadband Cable/FIOS/Satellite/DSL.

Again thanks and also thank you for allowing me to "gripe".

Comment

Working...
              X