This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Karmic amd64 for intel core 2 duo P8700 not working

I checked the boot process of the amd64 live cd again. It stops when the intel e1000e network (module) is loaded. It gives the line :
    Code:
    e1000e : pci_enable_pcie_error_reporting failed 0xfffffffb
    Then it reboots.
    Any ideas?

Comment

Try adding the noapci boot kernel option.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

e1000e is an ethernet driver for an Intel ethernet chip. It's what I have on my desktop system. From a Debian root prompt:

root@sidbox:/home/dibl# lshw -C network
        *-network
        description: Ethernet interface
        product: 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller
        vendor: Intel Corporation
        physical id: 0
        bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
        logical name: eth0
        version: 00
        serial: 00:1c:c0:1f:54:35
        size: 1GB/s
        capacity: 1GB/s
        width: 32 bits
        clock: 33MHz
        capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
        configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e1000e driverversion=1.0.2-k2 duplex=full firmware=0.5-7 ip=192.168.10.124 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=1GB/s
        resources: irq:27 memory:e3100000-e311ffff ioport:1000(size=32)
        But you have not said you have a networking problem, you said you have a problem running 64-bit OS or Live CD. So, I dunno how relevant the e1000e issue is ...

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          e1000e is an ethernet driver for an Intel ethernet chip. It's what I have on my desktop system. From a Debian root prompt:
          But you have not said you have a networking problem, you said you have a problem running 64-bit OS or Live CD. So, I dunno how relevant the e1000e issue is ...
          I still have the problem booting the amd64 live cd. The systems reboots when the e1000e module is loaded or after this module is loaded. It is the last line on the screen before the reboot.

Try adding the noapci boot kernel option
          When I do this the boot process stops when the kernel scheduler is loaded (started)

Comment

I would suspect that the fact that the e1000e module is the last line showing when it aborts the boot does not represent a "cause and effect" relationship. Something has to be last when it aborts.

The best Linux distro for hardware detection that I know of is sidux. Here's an experiment for you:

Download 1 each of the sidux 32-bit and 64-bit ISOs, current release, and burn them carefully (at the slowest burn speed you have) to CDs.

http://sidux.com/module-mirrors.html

I'd suggest "KDE Lite". Once you have made the CDs, try booting them. If the 32-bit CD boots and runs, and the 64-bit CD does not, I would consider that a definitive indication that your hardware system is not capable of running a 64-bit OS, even though your Intel CPU is capable. Then you will have an issue to discuss with the OEM of your computer.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              Download 1 each of the sidux 32-bit and 64-bit ISOs, current release, and burn them carefully (at the slowest burn speed you have) to CDs.
              The i386 version boots withput problems. The amd64 version reboots as all other distributions I have tested.

Is there a way to get useful informations where the problem with the kernel is? I managed to start kubuntu with the break = top feature. I wanted to start the kernel, load some modules manually and see where the problems arise. I get a console with some basic commands available. unfortunately insmod or modprobe is not included.

Comment

I'm not enough of an engineer to know how you would determine which component or design element of your hardware is only 32 bits wide, but it is apparent that there is a limitation there.

Comment

After some more research I found that kubuntu amd64 live cd runs fine when I remove one of the 2 gb ram bars. I checked with memtest but the memory is OK and shows no error after one completed pass.
                  I think this is has something to do with windows. Samsung ships the notebook with Vista 32bit. Maybe they made some changes in the way the memory is accessed so vista can address all 4 gb with the 32bit version.
                  The settings in the BIOS are very limited so I can not change this. But I will contact samsung support and explain the issue. I hope there will be a new bios firmware that fixes this problem.

Comment

Linux should run fine with only 2GB. Make sure you have a swap partition -- if you push it with a lot of running packages, it might need to swap a little. My 64-bit system has 4GB of RAM, but rarely uses more than 2. At this moment it has been running about 6 hours, doing all kinds of things including running a VM and Google Earth and Firefox, and is using 38% of 4GB (about 1.6GB).

Comment

Following this:
                      https://wiki.edubuntu.org/LaptopTest...amsungP560-Pro
                      and this:
                      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/272530
                      I added mem=4096m to the boot options and was able to boot the kubuntu (and other) live cd for amd64.
                      As with removing 2 gb ram I do not see the point of running this linux version since the x86 version sees all 4 gb ram.

Comment

ive the same problem only mine is 64 bit but it thinks its 32 bit

Comment

Originally posted by Skeletor the Evil Penguin
                          ive the same problem only mine is 64 bit but it thinks its 32 bit
                          I would like to understand your problem. Can you describe what you mean with : mine is 64 bit (processor, linux version etc)

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Karmic amd64 for intel core 2 duo P8700 not working

I wrote multiple inquiries to Samsung. And although they just said that a 64bit OS is not supported by them, Samsung released a BIOS update (11LU).
                            Now, I have full 64bit capabilities and full 4GB ram.
                            (BTW, Win 7 64bit also works now)

Comment

Working...
                            X