This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't setup a dual boot with Windows 7

I have done a dual boot with Ubuntu and OpenSuse already in the last 2 weeks. Had some driver issues so I thought I'd try the different distro's and versions. However, I have now installed Kubuntu 6 times with various changes to bootloader and the drives it is installing on, yet everytime I reboot, it goes straight to Windows 7. I can run Kubuntu from the CD and haven't had any errors in install.

Re: Can't setup a dual boot with Windows 7

during the install at the sumery page thar is a advanced button for the boot loader I asume you did that as you say you tryed vareus drives for it.................did it let you chose sda?

asuming sda is your boot drive.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

As you are still booting into Windows, that means that you did not put Grub in the MBR (a good thing), and that you told it to install to the partition that Karmic was installed to. That being the case, the Windows boot loader is "in charge." You need to (some how) add to that loader the information that will allow you to select between the two.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Try this to see your options and if you can get it the way you want it:
        The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista, 7, and XP step-by-step
        http://apcmag.com/dualboot
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I believe the problem to be related to Kubuntu, not to my installation process. Because I've already installed GNOME based Ubuntu 9.10 in a dual boot and OpenSuse KDE in a dual boot. I've just read the info provided above but I've done all that. Except for the info about changing the bootloader because I can't get into Kubuntu from the installation. I can only get into Kubuntu direct from the CD, and then I don't have issues with bootloader. Of course, then I can't really run Kubuntu or install anything, but I can play with it.

Comment

I was just asking.......as I had a Karmic cd that wouldent let me mess with sda ware sda was the primarey boot disk..........so I was asking if you WERE abell to install grub to the first disk's MBR

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by chunnel
              Except for the info about changing the bootloader because I can't get into Kubuntu from the installation.
              It isn't the Grub boot loader you need to get into - it's the Windows boot loader. I don't know how you do that, but that's what needs to be done. You would add to that loader the information that allows you, at boot time, to select either Windows or Kubuntu. Grub does not have to be the controller boot loader.

Comment

that would be the boot.ini file in C:\

look's like this

[boot loader]
                timeout=30
                default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
                [operating systems]
                multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
                how to edit it I dont Know.

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Humm seams win7 dosent use the boot.ini as XP .........hears a good looking read on it if you want to go that way

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r217...ting-questions

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Probably/maybe better still, is The definitive dual-booting guide: Windows 7, Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step
                    UPDATED | How to set up your PC to dual-boot between Windows 7, Linux, XP or Vista! We've done the hard work and put together a totally step-by-step guide with screenshots.

Comment

That's the one I gave him way back where ...
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

:P

Well, make it two recommendations then.

Comment

I still don't know what you are trying to do specifically. You can do various tasks on your installed Kubuntu from a live CD (you can use the Kubuntu Live CD, for example). You can usually boot into your Kubuntu using Super Grub Disk, yet another option ...

Comment

YES! I'll bet that's it. Based on your recommendation regarding Super Grub, I found this... http://www.supergrubdisk.org/w/index..._Boot_Problems.
                            I had reinstalled Windows onto a different drive, I have 4 internal. Now I'll bet BIOS is defaulting to the old drive, and ignoring the drive with GRUB which I keep putting on sda. I either need to make sure GRUB is installed on the correct drive, which is mostly guessing since BIOS and Linux identify the drives in a different way. Or I need to keep changing the default drive for boot until GRUB starts.

I'll let you know.

Comment

Success! I'm writing this from Konqueror.

Thanks for the help and quick response. All ideas were considered.

Comment

Working...
                              X