Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

/dev/sda1: UUID=". . ." SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext (EXPLAINED, SOLVED)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: /dev/sda1: UUID="54a8daf4-b7ad-4c82-9640-20771f3c7840" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE=

OK, so it's not the GRUB 2 problem (of slow re-boot times using 2 HDDs and multi-boot). There's been a bug fix for that, and I'm assuming you got all your updates.
    And you ruled out video (using dibl's guide).
    Have you searched on the word shutdown?
    Like these:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107430.0
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106884.0
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3108316.0
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107763.0
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: /dev/sda1: UUID="54a8daf4-b7ad-4c82-9640-20771f3c7840" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext

Tried all suggestions in your list. Nothing changed.

However, I found out where the Sec_Type=ext2 is coming from.

Boot screen, selecting 'e' command for the OS to be booted results in:
      "recordfail=1
      if [ -n${have_grubenv} ]; then save_env recordfail; fi
      set quiet=1
      insmode ext2 <-------------------------------
      search --no floppy --fs - uuid-set (followed by UUID number)"

I have no idea what this is all about.
      When I erase the reference to the floppy drive I do not get the 'floppy drive error'. But I do not know which file to edit to make the change permanent.

The restart/shutoff buttons do work and so do the CLI commands - except that everything does 'dead' but the fans. the machine keeps on running until manually shut off.

Hah!
      The insmod ext2 gets in there via /etc/grub.d/00_header and grub.cfg. Don't know how and why.

But it seems that it has nothing to do with the missing shutoff. I found indications that that is a bug. Supposedly fixed!
      But not on my computer.

Comment

Re: /dev/sda1: UUID=&quot;54a8daf4-b7ad-4c82-9640-20771f3c7840&quot; SEC_TYPE=&quot;ext2&quot; TYPE=

insmode ext2
        is a GRUB 2 command to insert an ext2 module. Notice all the module files (.mod) under /boot/grub. GRUB 2 loads what it needs. I do not think that has anything to do with the blkid output. I think the blkid output is referring to ext2 as a "secondary" filesystem.

I also don't know why all this stuff is where it is. No one does, there's no Manual or guidance from the guys who wrote GRUB 2. We can make up stories about it (based on pattern-recognition thinking), but that's all it will be.
        As for the
        search --no floppy --fs - uuid-set (followed by UUID number)"
        a few months ago I ran into discussion that some users might have to remove that line and how to do so, but I am unable this morning to put my finger on it.
        Boy, I hate to send you here, but apart from using google to find forum posts, this is about all we really have if wanting to get to the bottom of some of these issues:
        http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/

As for the shutdown problem, perhaps posting a new topic on it (using the word "shutdown") might attract the attention of users who know.

I must say, you are very patient. As for GRUB 2, remember you do have the option of going back to using the previous GRUB Legacy, and everything boot-related would work perfectly.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: /dev/sda1: UUID=&quot;54a8daf4-b7ad-4c82-9640-20771f3c7840&quot; SEC_TYPE=&quot;ext2&quot; TYPE=&quot;ext

Qqmike, thank you so much for your patience guidance and all the information given.

Altogether have allowed me not only to understand some aspects of Linux a little better, but also to improve my setup to the point where I can (almost) live with its status.
          I can cope with the manual shutoff situation, hoping somewhere along the line it might get fixed.

I saw a reference to the floppy search sequence in one of the files used to put together grub.cfg.

But, if I can go back to grub legacy, that would be my way to go. I am familiar and comfortable with it.

Please tell me as a final favor how to do that.

Thanks again.

Comment

Re: /dev/sda1: UUID=&quot;54a8daf4-b7ad-4c82-9640-20771f3c7840&quot; SEC_TYPE=&quot;ext2&quot; TYPE=

Boy, I sure wouldn't want you to get into an unbootable status there, and there is ALWAYS that risk, but ...

I'd have a copy of Super Grub Disk CDROM handy, just in case, the old-fashioned GRUB version.
            http://developer.berlios.de/project/...group_id=10921
            Scroll to the bottom for CDrom 0.9799: super_grub_disk_0.9799.iso
            Make a Live CD using that iso.
            SGD can boot you into your OSs in a pinch; it can even fix GRUB.

OK, here goes.
            In theory, this should go pretty easy:
            Remove GRUB 2:
            sudo apt-get purge grub-pc
            Then get the old GRUB legacy 0.97:
            sudo apt-get install grub
            Make a new /boot/grub/menu.lst:
            sudo update-grub
            Then install GRUB Legacy to the MBR of your first BIOS boot drive, which is probably /dev/sda:
            sudo grub-install /dev/sda
            And re-boot to test it.

In general, for GRUB Legacy, tools are here:
            -- How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

Comment

Re: /dev/sda1: UUID=&quot;54a8daf4-b7ad-4c82-9640-20771f3c7840&quot; SEC_TYPE=&quot;ext2&quot; TYPE=&quot;ext

Thank you very much for the instructions.
              I will go back to Grub Legacy as soon as I find enough undisturbed time to do it without messing up.

By the way, I always have Super Grub handy. that CD bailed me out several times. I have also used Kubuntu installation CDs to get back into the OS.

But nothing beats the convenience of a functioning restart and shutoff button.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                Boy, I sure wouldn't want you to get into an unbootable status there, and there is ALWAYS that risk, but ...

Remove GRUB 2:
                sudo apt-get purge grub-pc
                Then get the old GRUB legacy 0.97:
                sudo apt-get install grub
                Make a new /boot/grub/menu.lst:
                sudo update-grub
                Then install GRUB Legacy to the MBR of your first BIOS boot drive, which is probably /dev/sda:
                sudo grub-install /dev/sda
                And re-boot to test it . . .

Qqmike,
                finally got around to deal with grub. Indeed, it is a fairly easy operation - if one does make a backup!
                Being my reckless self, I did not. And mistyped the first BIOS boot drive. typed /dev/sda1 instead of sda.
                Unbootable system.
                I could have fixed it easily but because of the interfering bios boot problem, it took many hours of fruitless boot attempts in order to get to a few good startups.

I repaired the botched switch using the Kubuntu installation disk because my SGD for some reason did not start the system. then I simply installed a new copy of the OS on the second hard drive to eliminate any possibility that the BIOS boot problem is created by the OS installation.
                That worked. And I can use the computer - from a new installation.

The rest of my tie I am spending trying to get to the cause of the BIOS boot problems. I have dug up most all of suggested solution in this forum and on the Net, tried them all. None of them saved the problem.

It all comes down to this (as far as BIOS boot up is concerned):
                Either my bios is going bad or
                the MoBo is.

At least that is what I determined by studying the various help sites Google threw at me.

My RAM is good, still bought another stick with 1Gig.
                Tested battery and all connections on the board. Everything checks out.

But the random error remains - either no beep and no screen or a checksum error and floppy found that does not exist. That's seems to be a classic error for bios going bad.

Yet, if I leave the computer shut off and disconnected from power long enough, it will start right up flawlessly - with default options.
                Going into bios setup to change boot order will then get me the old no screen error back.
                Frustrating!

But I am learning a lot. Actually, I am thinking of putting the sites and links I found researching this matter into a little piece to be put somewhere on this board. I found some great sites with excellent info on this matter and grub related things for newbies and pseudo journeymen as myself.

Just don't know where to put it yet and when.

I'll start a new thread on the shutdown problem as soon as I have done some more homework.
                Right now I intend to use the links I found to apply methodically the solutions suggested until the one that works pops up.

Oh, before this all started I was thinking of replacing my MoBo with a newer more advanced version.
                Maybe the old computer heard it and is getting back at me for this betrayal

Comment

Originally posted by PJJ
                  Yet, if I leave the computer shut off and disconnected from power long enough, it will start right up flawlessly - with default options.
                  Going into bios setup to change boot order will then get me the old no screen error back.
                  Frustrating!
                  That almost certainly sounds like a heat problem, and specifically, a cable (controller). The ribbon cables are pierced by the connectors with micro-teeth. Over time, the heating/cooling that takes place inside the PC causes the wire in the ribbon cables to stretch, and the holes made by the connector teeth to elongate. When that happens, and the cable heats up, this elongation can be just enough to cause a tooth (or tooths) to no longer make contact with its wire.

Check all the connectors and ensure that they are tight. In worst cases, you have to either cut the connector off and then reattach it, or replace the cable(s) completely.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

PJJ, if it is a mobo issue, sounds like it involves the circuitry regulating the CMOS memory/firmware. It is affecting the BIOS, not the drives or peripherals per se.

Comment

Re: /dev/sda1: UUID=&quot;54a8daf4-... SEC_TYPE=&quot;ext2&quot; TYPE=&quot;ext SOLVED - FINALLY

LESSON(S) LEARNED:

After weeks and weeks, if not months, of erratic error messages, trouble booting the machine, disappearing and reappearing applications and other mysterious goings on and with the patient help of many forum members, it finally happened: Qqmike's fear of the system becoming unbootable became a reality.

Since I had previously eliminated most potential culprits (power supply, BIOS, etc.), it could only be a motherboard problem - as some of you suggested.

Bought new motherboard, installed it, and my computer started right up (in 64 bit mode) and with the old 32bit applications.

Something on the mobo had gone wrong. It always was kind of very warm! New board, cool computer (casing).

Problem solved for good - until the new board goes bad.

Thank you all again for your input. It was a great help to me.

Yes, I am also leaning towards finding the MoBo at fault. It has to be that way. I tested and checked almost everything methodically. Nothing is really wrong with everything else.

It's a cheap PCChips board. So, off I go soon to get a replacement. Wanted to upgrade anyway . . .

Just not right now.

Thanks again for your assistance and thoughtful input, Qqmike.

Comment

Working...
                      X