This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] After 9.10 upgrade, sound and touchpad stopped working

The upgrade was ok, and before it everything was running perfectly. But after I restarted the system, neither PulseAudio or HDA nVidia (ALC883 Analog) audio outputs were working. I searched about it, but the only thing people mention is 5.1 or 7.1 not working; and here I can't get sounds of dragon player, amarok, vlc, even the login and logout sounds don't work.
    And apart from that, the synaptics touchpad of the laptop stopped working too.

Any help is appreciated, I already spent a few hours here but couldn't make anything work u.u

[SOLVED] The problem was that the menu.1st wasn't using the last kernel avaliable at the machine. Once I changed it things started working again.

Re: After 9.10 upgrade, sound and touchpad stopped working

I have same problems in a dell vostro 1000 notebook.

Comment

Just noticed how SLOW firefox is behaving when more than 6 tabs are open; but I guess I can just install the 3.01 version .-.

Comment

Hm, it seems firefox is better now, but still I couldn't make either the sound nor the touchpad to work; changing the alsa config file option to 'auto' instead of 'laptop-eapd' kind of helped, since I could hear amarok really really low, but even so it's not usable yet.

EDIT: a copy of the alsa information: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=67...796e569548804d

Comment

I had the same problems with a Dell Inspiron 1521. Everything was working fine in 9.04 but when I upgraded to 9.10, I lost my sound, touchpad, and wireless. I got the wireless working by following the directions in one of the posts in the forum network section. Then I realized that my menu.lst file had not been updated by the installation upgrade process. I changed the boot info to point to the newer kernel and rebooted and then my touchpad was working. Then I opened kmix and added the PCM control and now my sound is working again.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveTaylor
            I had the same problems with a Dell Inspiron 1521. Everything was working fine in 9.04 but when I upgraded to 9.10, I lost my sound, touchpad, and wireless. I got the wireless working by following the directions in one of the posts in the forum network section. Then I realized that my menu.lst file had not been updated by the installation upgrade process. I changed the boot info to point to the newer kernel and rebooted and then my touchpad was working. Then I opened kmix and added the PCM control and now my sound is working again.
            I can't thank you enough! None of the dozens of guides I read even mentioned that after the update it could be still running an old version of the kernel.
            I am not listening to amarok playing beatifully, and dragon player has sound on the videos too (just couldn't get sound on VLC and flash, but that isn't a major concern yet.
            And the touchpad works too ^^

About your wireless, I had the same problem here, but mostly because knetworkmanager wouldn't handle my encripted connection, so I just used wicd and everything was perfect again.

I'll mark this as solved now.

Comment

Working...
            X