This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Grub2 and boot order change

I've read the grub2 tips and I'll be dipped I can't figure out what hoops I need to jump through to change the order in which my OSs boot and show up in the boot menu. Grub2 looks as though it's more configurable, but it sure isn't easier for doing simple things. Thanx for any help. Running the RC of Koala and Win 7, I want to make 7 the default OS.
    Being able to access the internet whilst answering a call of nature was 'one of life's most liberating experiences.'  Vic Hayes

Re: Grub2 and boot order change

Timeout and Default OS, changing
    The timeout is the length of time in seconds before the (highlighted) default OS is automatically booted (if you do not intervene by touching a key). To change these values, open the file /etc/default/grub as root, make the changes, Save, exit, then generate a new /boot/grub/grub.cfg by running sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

Opening /etc/default/grub as root
    If your file manager supports it, open the file manager, navigate to /etc/default/grub, right-click on the file, Actions, Edit as Root. Otherwise:
    Open the file manager as root and work from there:
    kdesudo konqueror
    kdesudo dolphin
    Or, open the file as root using Kate or Kwrite:
    kdesudo kate /etc/default/grub

Example
    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=5

GRUB_DEFAULT=0 selects boot entry #0 (i.e., the first entry) as the default OS to be booted automatically. Boot entries can be seen in your /boot/grub/grub.cfg file; they start with a line
    menuentry "some descriptive text" {
    and end with
    }

Boot entries are counted from zero; so the first menuentry is boot entry #0, the second menuentry is boot entry #1, etc.

Troubleshooting Tip: Check default OS setting after grub-mkconfig
    If you recently added/removed a boot entry (by editing a /etc/grub.d script) and ran grub-mkconfig to generate a new boot menu, you might have to check and edit the line "GRUB_DEFAULT= " (in /etc/default/grub) if the default sequence number changed.

(TO DO: Check also: sudo grub-set-default N.)

More information can be found here:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0
    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Re: Grub2 and boot order change

(As explained there) it's determined by the sequence number of the script file NN_etc (e.g., 41_CustomOS)
      or/also see drs305 for grub.cfg:
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

Note: you do NOT edit grub.cfg directly; you edit /etc/grub.d script file(s) (or /etc/default/grub file).
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Grub2 and boot order change

Thank You both, worked like a charm!
        Being able to access the internet whilst answering a call of nature was 'one of life's most liberating experiences.'  Vic Hayes

Comment

Nice work there bsoderror! Glad you got it.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks. At least somebody solved that issue...

Comment

Working...
            X