This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impossible to shut down or restart

OK, another issue I had is that whenever I try to shutdown or restart, the system hangs. this, again, started to happen after installing the beta. First, it stopped after a message saying "deactivating swap", with a message about a "Buffer I/O error on device loop0, logical block XXXXXX"

Now, however, it doesn´t get that far... it gets stuck at "Stopping kernel 0ops catching service kerneloops"

Sometimes (don´t know why) it advances to the "deactivating swap" part, while other times, it gets stuck at the "Stopping kernel" part.

This happens either if I try a shut down or a restart (I, unfortunately, have to do so every so often, because I still depend on Windows for certain tasks that I´ve been unable to migrate to Linux yet).

Once again, thanks in advance for any help. I really appreciate it!

Cheers!

Frank.

Re: Impossible to shut down or restart

If you boot and run the Live CD, do you see this kind of problem?

FYI, there are log files in /var/log that are useful for chasing this kind of issue -- you need to discover, if possible, what happens immediately before the actual kernel crash.

Comment

Re: Impossible to shut down or restart

Thanks for the answer, dibl.

I tried the Netbook remix, with a "live CD" from my usb memory. It worked ok.

I'll try to restart now, and see if it generates a log of the event, and post it here.

Thanks, again.

Cheers!

Frank.

Comment

Working...
      X