X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with 9.10 beta live cd

helo yall,
    I have been trying to try out the beta. I have downloaded the iso 2 times from different mirrors, but have the same problem both times, it load eventually with loads of errors, then when it gets to kdm, it tells me that kdm fails and just stops. I have tried it on my dads mac and it does the same, but on the mac I can use the mouse and it takes me into kdm normally but wants a user and password, nothing works ubuntu/ubuntu kubuntu/kubuntu ubuntu/blank kubuntu/blank root/root root/blank. On my laptop (acer aspire 1650) I cant even get the mouse t work and get to kdm, so............what am I to do I really want to try it out but it all seems to be against me!!
    Can any one help me?
    Is any one else having the same problems
    cheers in advance
    katoiam

also I have tried ctrl alt f1 and it does nothing!!!
    basicaly the mouse and keyboard dont seem to work as well

Re: Problems with 9.10 beta live cd

In almost every instance where the LiveCD won't boot or boots but misbehaves, especially when this behavior repeats itself on other PCs, it's either a bad .iso download, bad image burn, or both.

As you've said that you already tried twice, from different mirrors, the possibility of a bad download is less. It is however, still a possibility. Did you do an md5 checksum comparison of the downloaded .iso file? If it doesn't match the source, you're in for trouble before you start. If they do match, then you have to verify that the burned image is also 'intact.'

The other possibility is 'bad' media. If you are using inexpensive or off-brand CDs, that can result in all sorts of problems.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Also, burning at 52x can result in read errors. It will usually pay to burn at the slowest speed your burning software will use.

Comment

the md5sum is the same/ good, and I dont burn at 52 speed, the cds I have used for lots of other linux isos in the past few months, as I have been playing around with a few different types for a while now, I could try burning it a 3rd time on the lowest speed possible, but I am running out of cds now!!!!
        Also I tried it a second time on the mac and it eventually loaded, very very slowly but did eventually, so.........not sure what else to say!

Comment

It may be some of your hardware is playing up during the process. Disconnect all non-essentials from the USB ports etc.

I assume your keyboard works right at the start (where you select your options e'g "try kubuntu"). There are some alternative boot options at the bottom of the screen - IIRC you hit F4 to select them. 2 options that can have an effect are safe graphics mode or there is a no acpi option.

Edit...
          I have read up on the specs of your machine and it appears to have an ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300 graphics card. I'm not sure whether this card is supported but if it is I suspect it will probably require proprietary drivers to work properly. So the safe graphics (Vesa) option may well be what gets the live cd up and running and then the proper drivers if available can be installed. However, before installation of Kubuntu or any linux for that matter you need to satisfy yourself that your graphics card is supported.

Comment

I have been using kubuntu for 3-4 years now and have never had problems with my graphics card, I have kde4.0 on at the moment, Im not using propriety drivers, just the ones that come with, so I dont know! I will try in safe graphics mode, but I think already tried that as well, but its worth another shot!
            thanx to every one for helping me so far
            ps yes the eyboard works at the start, and I dont have any usb hardware plugged in, but I do get errors when 9.10 is loading up, Ill try to write them down and post them hear the next time I try too boot the live cd, in an hour or so
            thanx again

Comment

Providing you have a reasonably fast internet connection you could get the 'daily build' and put it on a bootable USB stick.
              That way you've cut out the chance of a bad CD plus saved yourself some money and have the latest release.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily/current/

When you have a working Linux or Windows computer UNetbootin is the easiest application to make the bootable USB key.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Comment

thanks for the link, Ill have a go in a while, unfortunately my old lapdowg wont boot from usb ! Which is annoying, as I would have used unetbootin otherwise! ah well! I have just burnt the image a 3rd time, on the lowest speed, as I checked 1 of the previous cds and it said there was a fault with it, so.......Ill have a go with the new cd and if that doesnt work try to get the daily build,
                thanx guys and gals

Comment

And I just found out the Server edition will not run from USB.
                  It'll boot but after recognising the keyboard it asks for the CD...

Comment

So now I have managed to get it to load up, so yay, in the end I burnt the cd at the slowest possible speed, and it worked ok. How ever I cant get the wifi to work? Is this normal? When I had the dodgy cds (the first 2) even though I couldnt get it to load properly, my wifi led was blinking (which it hasnt done since I switched from windoze!) so I guess the wifi was working then, but with the new burn the led doesnt seem to work and I cant connect to my router! any ideas, ethernet works, but...............Will I be able to rectify this after the install? I have heard a lot of people say that they are using wicd, I did install it on the live cd but it was running only as a daemon and so didnt know how to interact with it?
                    any ideas folks?
                    thanx again
                    ciao

Comment

Originally posted by katoiam

How ever I cant get the wifi to work? Is this normal?
                      Yeah ... pretty much, unfortunately.

FAQ #8 in my signature has general guidance to get you started. It really depends on your wireless chip and the driver for it. If the links in my FAQ don't lead you to success, then a search of Ubuntu Forum, on your make and model of wireless chip, will probably lead you to a solution.

Comment

Working...
                      X