This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Another update problem

Yeah, I tried another experiment. I updated my system from a backup made last weekend - close to 1gb of stuff. The upgrade went fine, reinstalled the video driver, rebooted. There came the welcome screen, but no keyboard and no mouse. This is an X or kde problem, since I can get to the console by "raising elephants" (ALT-SYSRQ-R ALT-SYSRQ-E), and the keyboard works there, but in X, there is no response from either. Can't navigate the login screen at all. Unplugging and reinserting one or both (they are usb) didn't help. The system must be detecting it at some level or the SYSRQ stuff wouldn't work.
    Tried installing older versions of the video driver, no help. Tried booting an older kernel, no help there. Any thoughts?
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: Another update problem

I worked around this by manually starting dbus and hal. I guess they're not being started by default for some reason, or they fail to start and don't output error messages detailing why.

Hop to a tty (alt+sysrq+r, ctrl+alt+f1), log in.
    Code:
    $ sudo service dbus start
    $ sudo service hal start
    $ sudo service kdm restart
    KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

Re: [workaround] Another update problem

Hop to a tty (alt+sysrq+r, ctrl+alt+f1), log in.
      Code:

$ sudo service dbus start
      $ sudo service hal start
      $ sudo service kdm restart
      Add to that list:
      sudo service network-manager start

That wasn't working either.
      And I thought that stuff was fixed...

Thank You for the help.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Re: [workaround] Another update problem

FYI: these commands can be added to /etc/rc.local to automate the process:

Code:
        start network-manager
        start dbus
        start hal
        The order seems to be important. Also be sure to:
        Code:
        sudo chmod a+x /etc/rc.local
        Reboot and you should be good to go.

Comment

Re: [solved] Another update problem

Most recent update fixes this problem.

Comment

Working...
          X