This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kuickshow library missing

Trying to install kuickshow - a fast and light graphic viewer - produces the error:

kuickshow:
    Depends: imlib11 but it is not installable

It used to be part of gdk-imlib11, but I can't find that package either for karmic.

Kuickshow is in the repository, but the imlib11 package is missing.

Re: kuickshow library missing

> Bug #412211: kuickshow broken in 64bit karmic

The https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/...imlib/1.9.15-8 tells:
    1.9.15-8 DELETED: Karmic pocket Release in component universe and section graphics
    Removal requested on 2009-04-29.
    Deleted on 2009-04-29 by Martin Pitt
    (From Debian) RoQA; GTK 1.2 deprecation
    A workaround is to go to the http://packages.ubuntu.com/ and search and install (i'm using the i386) the latest released binaries (Distribution: Jaunty):

imlib-base_1.9.15-8_all
    imlib11_1.9.15-8_i386

Then it is possible to install the kuickshow. It is working at here.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Workaround worked.

I got it installed.

Thanks

any idea what this means about including it in the final release? Kuickshow is in the repository, so I'm hoping the libraries should eventually be too.

Comment

any idea what this means about including it in the final release? Kuickshow is in the repository, so I'm hoping the libraries should eventually be too.
        My guess: The Imlib is lost for the Karmic. The Imlib packaging is now depending libglib1.2-dev and libgtk1.2-dev. Both are removed by the GTK 1.2 deprecation.

The KuickShow developer (Carsten Pfeiffer) suggested that (for the Debian) the GDK part and X part should be separated > Imlib1 vs. Imlib2
        3) Imlib1 is available as GDK and plain Xlib variant. KuickShow uses the plain
        Xlib variant, so the removal of GTK1.2 should not necessarily remove the Xlib
        variant of Imlib1.

What about stripping the GDK bits from Imlib1 and keep on providing the Xlib
        variant?

> Imlib2

Imlib 2 is the successor to Imlib. It is NOT a newer version - it is a completely new library. Imlib 2 can be installed alongside Imlib 1.x without any problems since they are effectively different libraries - BUT they Have very similar functionality.

The KuickShow and The Imlib2

> Imlib1 vs. Imlib2
        1) Imlib2 is not a replacement for Imlib1. At least last I checked, the
        functionality differed quite a lot. In other words, Imlib2 doesn't provide
        the functionality that KuickShow uses from Imlib1.

2) Imlib2 is actually slower in image decoding and rendering, at least in
        those cases that KuickShow is concerned with.

The KuickShow and the KDE 4

Th KuickShow in the Kubuntu repositories is a bit old, it is from the KDE 3.5.8. The version number is 0.8.13.

The Carsten Pfeiffer has build the KuickShow for the KDE 4 > Kuickshow in KDE 4? The sources could be found from the http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/extragea...ics/kuickshow/.

It seems to work fine with the Karmic (it is still using the Imlib1). Version number is 0.9.1

Binaries could be found from the PPA repositories > Package name contains: kuickshow

There are also the Imlib files > Package name contains: imlib
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
        X