This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading to Karmic when Kubuntu thinks I'm already using Karmic

I upgraded some Jaunty packages using the Karmic repos to fix some bugs I was having and now Kubuntu thinks I am using Karmic. I'd like to do a full upgrade to Karmic but am getting the message that there are no distribution upgrades available to me. Should I just go ahead and make all the available package upgrades the Karmic repos give me or would that mean missing some important steps using the dist-upgrade tools?
    JamieWilson.net

Re: Upgrading to Karmic when Kubuntu thinks I'm already using Karmic

The way I have done jaunty-karmic upgrades is to change every instance of "jaunty" to "karmic" (without the quotes) in /etc/apt/sources.list, and then "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade". Be ready for a lot of downloads (nearly 3 gb on my most recent system) Another thing to check is if you are using any repositories that use /etc/apt/sources.list.d (such as mediabuntu) that you do the jaunty-karmic changes there, too.

I generally hit a few bumps that need dpkg --force-overwrite to make the upgrade go to completion. Also have a backup of your original system in case the upgrade fails.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Re: Upgrading to Karmic when Kubuntu thinks I'm already using Karmic

OR: You could backup your software and do a reinstall from a Live CD and get all the goodies at once. Just a suggestion. It also cleans up the works and leaves plenty of room on the HD. On the other hand, wait for a month and get the real thing.
      Bob
      Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

Working...
      X