X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triple Boot Vista + Jaunty + Karmic (Alpha 3) Success

Hi guys!

Just came here to tell you that I got a Triple boot working - but after some minor grub(2?) pain...

I installed Karmic in a spare (ext4) partition, and Jaunty is installed in an ext3 partition. Everything went great. But... after rebooting, grub only showed me Karmic: Jaunty and Vista were gone.

After looking for the /boot/grub/menu.lst file (heh) and realizing it's not there anymore, i reached /boot/grub/grub.cfg, where sure enough, I only had the Karmic partition listed.

Then, I tried grub's suggestion:

Code:
    sudo grub-mkconfig
    It spilled a bunch of stuff into the screen, including all the partitions that it had found and the entries to the other OS's... However, my /boot/grub/grub.cfg file still showed only the Karmic entry!

I then did instead

Code:
    sudo grub-mkconfig > grub.log
    and sure enough this file had all the entries I needed!

So... taking my chances I decided to edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg even though it explicitly tells me not to, and added all the entries as shown in the attached file, and it worked.

Now, the questions:

- why doesn't sudo grub-mkconfig write the correct entries into the grub.cfg file?
    - could I have done something else (e.g. another grub command that would have fixed it?)

Thanks!

Attached Files

Re: Triple Boot Vista + Jaunty + Karmic (Alpha 3) Success

Well done!

Karmic is still an alpha, and having gone from GRUB to GRUB2 and allowing ext4 as well as ext3, it is not too surprising that there may be some teething troubles, to be ironed out before 2009 October and its release as stable.

- why doesn't sudo grub-mkconfig write the correct entries into the grub.cfg file?
    - could I have done something else (e.g. another grub command that would have fixed it?)
    Good question. I don't know.
    I doubt it just now. I resolved this a slightly different way by using grub-install in Jaunty and copying the Karmic grub.cfg lines to Jaunty's menu.lst file, it also worked. You way is easier.
    HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Working...
    X