This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound in VLC, Audacity, Aqualung or Exaile

Hi there, I don't get any sound with the usic players, VLC, Audacity, Aqualung or Exaile.
    I have checked that my sound card works, HDA Intel (ALC883 Analog) I play sound files and movie files from the file manager wthout problem, but the above mentioned programs don't reproduce any sound, I am not versed on the cli to change files, I'm a Windows user, thanks in advance. tried the command : sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils reset but get the message, : command not found.

Re: No sound in VLC, Audacity, Aqualung or Exaile

The "dibl" has collected > Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers and the #6 is No Audio.

About those applications

Aqualung and Exaile. They are telling:
    "but written in GTK+"
    "Gtk-based audio player"

The Ubuntu (Gnome/GTK) is using the Pulseaudio. Do you have the Pulseaudio installed ?
    By the "lmilano" > [HOWTO] Solving Audio Problems in Karmic (installing latest Alsa and Pulse)

Rule of Thumb

When you get a mysterious error/no start/no sound with the gui, use the cli.

With the cli you usually get a full error message and could do a net search with the error message.

If you start the VLC in the konsole there should be lot of information what is going on.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Hi, I tried a lot of links and spend a few hours reading and typing commands but can get any sound through the speakers, but ok on headphones but too low.
      My soundcard is an Intel HDA, ALC883 Digital, my laptop s an acer Inspire 9800.
      In the multimedia sound configuration there are two drivers that give sound when I press the test button HDA Intel (ALC883 Analog) and Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server.
      So I put each one as the preferred driver, boot up and no sound through the laptop speakers. Don't know which is the next step...

Comment

There is a "database" of audio driver options for laptops here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...13&postcount=1

I see an Acer 9810 and 9815 mentioned -- you might want to give those options a try.

Comment

Working...
        X