X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One USB drive not detected - others are

Hi there.

I have a Kubuntu 9.10 "tower" system that will not detect one particular 40GB USB hard drive. It works fine with my USB flash drives and a different 500GB USB hard drive. The 40GB drive works fine with my pre-historic laptop which runs Xubuntu 9.10 and with my XP "tower" system.

Both "tower" systems are distinctly middle aged and have internal PATA drives of varying sizes.

The 500GB is formatted NTFS and is a 3.5" PATA fitted into a purchased caddy. The 40GB drive is a 2.5" (SCSI?) laptop type drive formatted FAT32 also fitted into a purchased caddy. I need this drive to be formatted FAT32 as it needs to be compatible with my hi-fi usb port which only works with FAT32. I have tried swapping the 40GB drive for an old 6GB laptop drive formatted ext3 with no difference. Both the 40GB and 6GB are jumpered as master (as opposed to slave or cable).

Why will the 40GB drive work with all of my computers except the Kubuntu one, yet the Kubuntu system is happy with all my other USB drives?

I have read lots of threads on "USB drive not detected" and I know enough to look at lsusb and dmesg. Lsusb output does not change from before the 40GB drive is inserted to afterwards. Similarly, dmesg|tail -20 shows that there are no additional messages when the drive is inserted.

I have got usbutils, notification-daemon and upstart in and running. I tried installing usbmount but no difference there.

If anyone has any ideas on this I would be grateful. It is not a showstopper but it is a pain!

Working...
X