This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI drivers on Karmic, KDE 4.4

I have Ati graphic card and i downloaded the drivers from Ati home page but I don't know how to install them because its not a deb package. It is ".run". So do I need to compile this or I've just downloaded the wrong file

Re: ATI drivers on Karmic, KDE 4.4

On the page you downloaded the driver from, under Documentation, there's an Installer Instructions link that contains the installation instructions.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Make sure the file you downloaded is on your Desktop.
      From a Konsole run:

sudo -s

then:

CD Desktop

then:

sh ./ati-driver-installer-10-2-x86.x86_64.run

(I assume your using the 10-2 driver otherwise replace with whatever your using)
      after installation is complete run:

aticonfig --initial -f

then reboot and all should be well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hullite
        Make sure the file you downloaded is on your Desktop.
        From a Konsole run:

sudo -s

then:

CD Desktop

then:

sh ./ati-driver-installer-10-2-x86.x86_64.run

(I assume your using the 10-2 driver otherwise replace with whatever your using)
        after installation is complete run:

aticonfig --initial -f

then reboot and all should be well.

Well I tried this but after
        Code:
        sh ./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run
        i get
        Code:
        Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
        default:v2:i686:lib::none:2.6.31-20-generic; make sure that the version is being
        correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.Nmq6sK
        Help?

Comment

It could be that the driver your using is too old (9-3).
          Try a later driver from the AMD Website. If your using Karmic I find that the 9-11 driver works well.

Comment

Do you have a 64-bit CPU? The driver you downloaded is for 64-bit systems. If you have a 32-bit system, you downloaded the wrong file.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog..
              That driver works for 32bit & 64 bit systems.
              It just configures to your architecture.

Comment

Reminder: HD1K and below cards are no longer supported since the 9.3 driver. That driver won't work with anything newer than Intrepid (maybe it was Jaunty, don't remember that well) either. If you got one of those old cards you need to switch to the open source "radeon" driver, which is loaded by Ubuntu by default.

1. Dowload file

2. With a trminal cd to the folder where you downloaded the file

3. Perform the following commands:

Code:
                sudo sh ati-driver-installer-10-2-x86.x86_64.run
                4. A GUI pops up. Accept the defaults and let it finish. Once back in the terminal (check that no errors where given) do:

Code:
                sudo aticonfig --initial
                5. Reboot

The 10.2 driver does not work with KDE desktop effects, so make sure you have them off otherwise your desktop will just hang on a black screen. If you want composition go with the 10.1 driver.
                Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 4.00GHz (8 Cores,) Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Memory: 32768MB
                Disk: 2000GB ST2000DM001-9YN1 + 1000GB ST31000340AS, Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411
                Graphics: ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7850, Audio: C-Media CMI8788, Monitor: S220HQL

Comment

it all depends on your card. My HD4830 works perfectly with the newest driver from ati on my 64-bit karmic w/ kde 4.4.1 and desktop effects have worked just fine since before jaunty with the ati driver.

i basicly do the following , go to there web page. get the driver for your card. install it with
                  sudo sh <filename> and then reboot after its all finished. i don't do the aticonfig step because it does it automaticly after installing. to further configure the driver after that run
                  Code:
                  kdesudo amdcccle
                  if you have issues other then that you might want to check out the ati driver wiki
                  http://wiki.cchtml.com/

or if you have an older card you can also try one of the opensource drivers.
                  Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                  (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman1983

Well I tried this but after
                    Code:
                    sh ./ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run
                    i get
                    Code:
                    Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
                    default:v2:i686:lib::none:2.6.31-20-generic; make sure that the version is being
                    correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.Nmq6sK
                    Help?
                    Catalyst 9.3 is the driver for legacy cards, which stopped working (out-of-the-box) ever since Jaunty. If you have a legacy card (anything lower than 2300HD), then you will have to use the opensource drivers that should have been automatically installed when you first setup Lucid. Unfortunately, you cannot play many 3D games with it yet.

Comment

reading this i now realize why my KDE no longer works, it just hangs at the splash screen after logging in. i am pretty sure that desktop effects are on and that is why i cannot get in. can i disable them in gnome and get back in to kde? and since i already have 10.2 installed what is the best way to step down from 10.2 to the 10.1 so that i can enable desktop effects and have my 3d back in KDE.

Comment

@ BudBear,
                        you can log in to gnome and install the 10.1 drivers.
                        or you can delete the following file.. look in your /home/<usrname>/.kde folder (you need the .) look around for a plasmarc or plasma-desktoprc file then delete it , if you can't find them you can try to remove (make a copy first) your .kde folder and it will reset kde to default. and make a new one on the next time you log in to kde.
                        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
                          @ BudBear,
                          you can log in to gnome and install the 10.1 drivers.
                          or you can delete the following file.. look in your /home/<usrname>/.kde folder (you need the .) look around for a plasmarc or plasma-desktoprc file then delete it , if you can't find them you can try to remove (make a copy first) your .kde folder and it will reset kde to default. and make a new one on the next time you log in to kde.
                          thanks, but i found quite by accident that just by changing the windows manager to Compiz in Gnome, after a few reboots, KDE seems to be functioning ok. but some of the desktop effects are not as nice as in Gnome, maybe they just aren't working correctly i dunno. if i had to guess i would say that Kwin and the 10.2 ATi driver don't play nice together. i am leaving it alone until Lucid is ready.
                          thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                          X