X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

all printers disappeared after autodetection

Help, I need to print!

I've been using Kubuntu 9.10 (upgraded from 9.04) for several months now. I have no beta packages installed. I configured several printers, using the System Settings/Printer Configuration tool: a HP LaserJet 3015 at home connected to a Windows machine, and a Xerox Phaser 8560 at my coworking space connected directly to a router. I used these for most of the time with no problems.

However, several weeks ago I was at the coworking space, requested a print from my web browser, and in the printer selection dialog, observed the list of printers expanding... some sort of autodetection of network printers was occuring, and multiple instances of the same printer were being offered, with slightly different names. Printing to these devices did not work.

Now, after a reboot, there are NO network printers available no matter what network I'm connected to. When I use the Kubuntu printer configuration tool and try to set up a new printer, it asks me to "Select a connection" to which the only option it gives me is "Other". When I put in an address for the printer it just cycles endlessly, never finding anything.

I notice that several other threads on this topic have suggested browsing to http://localhost:631 to see a CUPS web interface. When I try that, Firefox can't establish a connection to that address.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Working...
X