• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is my xorg.conf?

I am using Karmic and can't find my xorg.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

What's up with that?

Re: Where is my xorg.conf?

It doesn't exist any more?

From "The New Xorg Way - Important Xorg Setup Information" on http://linux-hardcore.com/index.php?topic=2280.0

"Xorg has been updated

1. No /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to configure anymore, unless you revert to this way of configuring everything manually.
    2. No Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to restart the desktop
    3. No "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". It is now "X -configure" to configure a xorg.conf.new file, which you can use as with the Old Xorg Way.
    4. All your hardware is now configured via Hal Hotplugging and Hal profiles.

Where do I find a Howto guide about this New Way?
    This Debian Wiki page provides in-depth information about the New Xorg, as well as offering a Howto Guide on configuring your hardware.
    http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/InputHotplugGuide "

There is an interesting post going on on Ubuntu Forums at the moment "Re: dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg does NOTHING in karmic!!!" at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1306844
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

From the > Xorg release 7.2 (Kubuntu 7.04) onwards it has been possible to:
      Autoconfiguration: The X server can now start without an xorg.conf file in most cases.

If you need to make a xorg.conf, it is a simple (?) text file. So you could make a new one with a text editor: Press ALt + F2 and type "kdesudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf".

A Ubuntu documentation > X Configuration
      Today's X rarely requires manual configuration. X now automatically configures itself with reasonable defaults. Both GNOME and KDE provide GUI utilities for customizing settings beyond these defaults if you like.

However, sometimes you need to muck with the configuration manually, beyond what these tools allow. These pages are written for you....
      Examples with the ATI/AMD > Topic: Help needed with xorg.conf and graphics driver

About Ctrl+Alt+Backspace

The Release notes for the KArmic are telling > Re: Karmic Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.3 - FINAL >> Karmic Koala Release Notes:
      Ctrl-Alt-Backspace disabled by default in Xorg, configured via XKB

Since Ubuntu 9.04, the Ctrl-Alt-Backspace key combination to force a restart of X is now disabled by default, to eliminate the problem of accidentally triggering the key combination. In addition, the Ctrl-Alt-Backspace option is now configured as an X keymap (XKB) option, replacing the X server "DontZap" option and allowing per-user configuration of this setting.

As a result, enabling or disabling the Ctrl+Alt+Backspace shortcut can now be done easily from the desktop.

Enabling Ctrl-Alt-Backspace for Kubuntu

* Click on the Application launcher and select "System Settings"
      * Click on "Regional & Language".
      * Select "Keyboard Layout".
      * Click on "Enable keyboard layouts" (in the Layout tab).
      * Select the "Advanced" tab. Then select "Key sequence to kill the X server" and enable "Control + Alt + Backspace".
      ... and from the Kubuntu forums > Topic: ctrl-alt-backspace (again)
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

except my mouse acts crazy (windows maximing and minimizing, windows scrolls down/left.) Haven't used linux since gentoo 2004. Boring job and wife and child complicated things.

Y

Can anyone guess my handle?

Comment

Reading Ubuntu Forum at the moment.(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1336863)

I'm still on 9.04 so I can't try it. If you get stuck you might need to reboot. Translating from Gnome to KDE.It says:

Drop to the terminal by doing ctrl+alt+F1
          Login.
          Type
          sudo service kdm stop
          Then type:
          sudo Xorg -configure
          then to restart X
          sudo service kdm start
          This will generate an xorg.conf.
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian
            Do you know a guy named Major Major Major Major?

Comment

Anyone interested in helping me solve the X problem with my laptop?

I believe I need to edit or create an xorg.conf file for my laptop's hardware.

My theory (just throwing this out there) is that A) Hal Hotplugging and Hal profiles doesn't fully configure or support the hardware or
              B) it wasn't programmed to 'add' settings which are needed.

Whatever it is, this is the result in using the open source radeon driver in 9.10 with 3D enabled:

1) Ubuntu - lockup - system is non-responsive

2) Kubuntu - refused to 'turn on' 3D effects (or similar to Ubuntu after editing/creating xorg.conf)

I am just wondering what can be done if anyone has edited and created an xorg.conf to handle this older hardware.

Specs:
              Radeon Mobility 9000, RV250

open source radeon driver - pre-installed in kernel, I assume but lockups occur on boot up of Live CD of 9.10.

Or 3D/Desktop effects can't be enabled - message states this in Kubuntu.

I can only speculate that an edited xorg.conf needs to be created as maybe there are further settings needed that aren't implemented in the 'new' Xorg file or HAL system of utilizing it.

My theory is that this situation applies to all older, AGP Radeon cards (in particular, mobility versions) 9200 and below and maybe even up to 9550 (desktop version?). This only applies, note, when trying to use 3D. 2D works okay. So, some setting applicable to 3D is required or something fails that triggers a lockup?

Comment

Maybe you're affected by this (check the second page as they start discussing problems with some AGP cards):
                http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...t=20379&page=2

Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 4.00GHz (8 Cores,) Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Memory: 32768MB
                Disk: 2000GB ST2000DM001-9YN1 + 1000GB ST31000340AS, Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411
                Graphics: ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7850, Audio: C-Media CMI8788, Monitor: S220HQL

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                  Originally posted by Yossarian
                  Do you know a guy named Major Major Major Major?
                  Yes...and he bears a striking resemblance to Henry Fonda.

Anyway...Back to the topic at hand. What can cause my mouse/windows to act so erratically? I'll try writing my own xorg.conf and see if that fixes it.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar
                    Maybe you're affected by this (check the second page as they start discussing problems with some AGP cards):
                    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...t=20379&page=2
                    Yeah, maybe, but who cares?
                    I'll just use a different (non-*buntu) distro on my laptop, one that works.

Comment

Rog131 gave excellent answers to your question but, apparently, YOU don't care.

You joined this forum over two years ago. Your sixth post stated:
                      To be honest, I was thinking of giving up but it's not because I am a fan of Windows or have any allegiance to Windows. I'm not very good at computers I guess or I'm not confident in fiddling in Linux. ....

Thus, I am wondering if Kubuntu is worth trying out. ......

I am frustrated though and I am considering throwing in the towel unless I can be convinced to give it another try.

I thought about PCLinuxOS and other distros that are supposedly easier and noob-friendly out-of-the-box distros but they go on their own tangent and involve further complications based on unfamiliar systems. I'm not sure it would be that much better. I also thought that if I could improve and learn that eventually I could revisit Debian. Maybe, I cannot 'get it.' :-/
                      Two month later you repeat what will be your continual theme for the next two years:
                      I'm thinking of giving up.
                      just 15 minutes after posting:
                      he more I read these kinds of articles and posts, the more I find the linux community a turnoff and the more I consider giving up trying to learn Linux.

You also state "I'm done", then assign blame for your failures:
                      .... I also think the Ubuntu community is dominated by smug jerks who bash anyone who doesn't correspond to their way of thinking.

The community seems to be full of hypocritical messages if you go to the main site. ....
                      Then, based on your "professional" experience you add the zinger:

Linux has a long way to go until it has usable OS for the typical desktop user.
                      At this point, two months in, you are acting and writing like a classic troll, but rather than quit, you plod on, if only to post, month later, like a troll.

I don't want to make this thread too long by posting as many examples as you have given us, but your theme continues, month after month. It doesn't matter which distro you try, or which version of it, or which desktop. Your complaints, rants, whines and trolls just continue to roll on.

A year after your first post you pile on to the KUbuntu- not for me thread with more complaints, this time against most major Linux distros, help forums, and Linux in general.

Later, you continue with your theme in No Video: typical, in which you state:
                      Why doesn't Ubuntu just drop Kubuntu and be done with it. Admit it, you don't care...
                      and a little while later, you say I guess I'm still distro hunting...

Last December you pontificate to someone asking why you would want to switch to Debian: Why would you want to switch to Debian from Kubuntu? Kubuntu is a POS in comparison.

In Migrated from Debian, you write:
                      Quote from: toad on December 02, 2008, 08:13:06 am
                      @ kbunt

The problem is that nobody bothers reading your posts any more so feel free to pollute this forum further.
                      Okay, I'll make you (all) happy and find another distro.

Thanks.
                      But, you don't.

But, like the Terminator, "I'm baaaack", with yet another "I can't use Kubuntu rant, and then claim you are going to use Ubuntu from then on:
                      I think I'll install Ubuntu 8.10 soon and install the KDE desktop. Bye, bye Kubuntu...
                      But, like a bad penny, one week later you are back, again dissing Kubuntu AND the developers:
                      I've tolerated all kinds of issues in Kubuntu but it's like they don't care about new users or inexperienced users. It's supposed to be experimental but they are already going to 9.04! I don't understand it.

I am going to go with Debian until they iron out the issues and improve things a bit.
                      Promises, promises...

In NO support again you rant that Kubuntu support is poor, continuing your roll as the local troll.

In January, after several promises that you'd leave Kubuntu permanently, but yet you remain, trolling, you continue with your Kubutu is a POS theme. You conclude with the statement "Goodbye Kubuntu"

Why don't I believe you?

Then, in March of this year you disappear and don't post again till July. Soon the old patterns begin to appear again. In November one of your posts was deletetd..

So, we come to today's posting, in which you state:
                      I'll just use a different (non-*buntu) distro on my laptop, one that works.
                      I advise that you do that, not that it will help you, but because you repeatedly stated that Kubuntu is a POS and the help on this forum isn't good enough for you. I suspect that your sixth post hit the nail on the head -- you just don't "get it".

Good bye.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                      X