X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Did anyone noticed ?

Hello,

I just couldn't wait. Karmic is a beauty. it discovered and configured all hardware I have in my Aspire 7520. First time I see WiFi LED flashing. No problem with Nvidia card - beautiful resolution from first load. Probably Ricoh 5in1 card reader is working too, although I didn't tested yet.

Boy oh boy it eats my RAM alive. I wasn't sure why it stops now and then and getting numb for 3-5 seconds. I opened testing widgets and RAM is "brutally abused"

- Did anyone notice similar thing ?

I never had a problem with RAM on Linux until now. I have 1GB + 1GB SWAP partition and it seems to be not enough.

- Can someone help me optimise RAM ? or just do something about it please ?

Kubuntu Karmic Koala AMD64bit Acer Aspire 7520

Re: Did anyone noticed ?

I had not noticed the large memory use until I read your post and went and checked mine. I have 4 GB of memory so I am OK, but I see that 1.1 GB is being used with nothing open except Firefox and Thunderbird and the usual other system processes. That includes Kwin. Desktop effects is enabled. Xorg is using 385 MB. I can see where lower powered machines may be running into some problems. You can start by shutting down those services that you don't use that are set to run at startup.

Comment

Thanks Detonate.

This is new for me on Linux. I was always happy and proud that I don't need to suffer "M$ Windows Vista Ram Syndrome"
      (That absurdal idea of 18GB after fresh installation and millions of services + drivers is purely done for marketing purposes, but this is different topic)

I have 1GB of fast RAM - 256MB for Graphic leaves just over 700MB. Without any applications started it have in use 44% (shows as 340MB)

Start Kmail and Firefox 99% Ram used!

- Did anyone noticed similar things?

Comment

Firefox uses about 80MB on my system.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
          I had not noticed the large memory use until I read your post and went and checked mine. I have 4 GB of memory so I am OK, but I see that 1.1 GB is being used with nothing open except Firefox and Thunderbird and the usual other system processes. That includes Kwin. Desktop effects is enabled. Xorg is using 385 MB. I can see where lower powered machines may be running into some problems. You can start by shutting down those services that you don't use that are set to run at startup.
          Dito here. Just looked my self. haven't seen that much used in a while either, but didn't noticed due to the amount I do have. Interesting.

50MB Firefox
          50MB Thunderbird
          113MB clamd

Comment

Everyone needs to remember, that in Linux, 'unused' RAM is wasted RAM. Unless you are noticing system slowness/responsiveness, then the amount of RAM you see being used should not be a real concern.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

True, true, but I have noticed on some past versions my systems RAM wasn't used like it was in I believe it was 7.04, maybe the one just before that. Either way, I am glad to see it utilizing memory as it should.

Comment

Dear Senior Members,

You call it utilising RAM as it should and I can't open application! Sound is cracking, system freezes, downloading single mail takes ages... >
                1GB of fast DDR2 RAM should be enough for Linux.

- What do you mean Snowhog by what you wrote?
                Can I read somewhere more about you opinion ? (googling it isn't helping)

- Are there any applications/settings to manage RAM?

- Will increasing swap help? (although swap is not even touched on my graph)

Comment

I have noticed that sometimes plasma will start overloading the system making it very slow. My short term remedy is to log out and back in. This refreshes the programs that are loaded. My long term solution is to minimize the use of plasma widgets that update frequently (i.e. wifi-radar, cpu temp etc...).

Mike
                  http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Tips for Optimizing Linux Memory Usage (dated - 1994 but the principles are still valid)

Why (on Linux) am I seeing so much RAM usage?

Linux Memory Management or 'Why is there no free RAM?'

Selected from a Google search on: linux RAM utilization and how RAM is utilized in linux

Searching with Google is an 'art' that calls for understanding how Google works in order to increase the effectiveness of ones searches, that they may maximize the possibility of useful results.

Comment

Beat me to it! Those were the exact links I was looking for but seemed to have misplaced.

Comment

I was doing similar thing and nothing specific.

Snowhog can you please start new topic ( somewhere appropriate ) and send us a link ? It is very useful skill and I am sure many of us will be glad for that help.

PS - Thanks for help !

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                          Beat me to it! Those were the exact links I was looking for but seemed to have misplaced.
                          "Like minds..."

Comment

Sheesh, I was searching too. OK, here is a useful statement for this thread:
                            the Linux kernel is designed to use most of the available RAM for buffers and cache
                            It is also useful to search on "oom".

Comment

Originally posted by birkopf
                              Dear Senior Members,

You call it utilising RAM as it should and I can't open application! Sound is cracking, system freezes, downloading single mail takes ages... >
                              1GB of fast DDR2 RAM should be enough for Linux.

- What do you mean Snowhog by what you wrote?
                              Can I read somewhere more about you opinion ? (googling it isn't helping)

- Are there any applications/settings to manage RAM?

- Will increasing swap help? (although swap is not even touched on my graph)
                              I would look to see if it isent somthig eating up the cpu instaed of the RAM ishue.

my curent box has about 1.5Gig of RAM but usualey onley has say about 250Mib free

vinny@desktop:~$ free -m
                              total used free shared buffers cached
                              Mem: 1475 1192 282 0 131 774
                              -/+ buffers/cache: 286 1189
                              Swap: 1082 67 1015
                              and never even hicups.

the last box I had was a 700MhzCPU 383Mib-RAM i810 grafix and it ran 9.04 just fine and would even do most of the desktop effects if set to use Xrender composeting (now that would hicup it ) but even though it would show that the RAM was about all used it would still do eneything I wanted IE: play vid music use firefox bla bla withought locking up or chatering.

VINNY
                              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                              16GB RAM
                              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                              X