X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gave up waiting for root device

Hi Guys,

Fortunately, I can still boot to a networked prompt using vmlinuz-2.6.30-8-generic, which has enabled me to update, but none since have been able to boot. For example, vmlinuz-2.6.31-11-generic gives this error:

Gave up waiting for boot device.
    -Boot args cat /proc/cmdline
    cehck rootdelay=
    check root=
    -Missing modules cat /proc/modules

Alert: /dev/disk/by-uuid/b68b22782-3cdb-4394-8f23-2f126c1f2c26 does not exist.

Then drops to initramsfs.

Ok, I have edited /boot/grub/grub.cfg and tried some of the solutions offered on forums:
    added: rootdelay=120
    added: all_generic_ide
    added: /dev/sda1 instead of uuid

Now according to this document
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/u...nitrd-bug.html

All this is a waste of time anyway, and it says there is a problem with the image file. But this can not be true, as I have tried numerous updates to the image files, including 30-8-generic, 31-9-generic, and a number of updates to the latest 31-11-generic.

I was hoping that eventually an update would fix the issue, but it hasn't happened yet, and now my 30-8 does not lauch kde. So I though it might be worthwhile posting my experiences here and try to figure out what's going on.

Regards

Ben Glazier

Re: Gave up waiting for root device

Please post the output of:

Code:
    sudo blkid

sudo fdisk -l

cat /etc/fstab
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Here is the output from the working kernel 30-8. I'm not sure how to get the outputs for the non-working Kernel, as it's not booting past initramfs?

Incidentally, somebody here has/had the same problems:
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...iting+for+root

Here's the output:

mike@oslo:~$sudo blkid
      /dev/sda1: UUID="b68b2782-3cdb-4394-8f23-2f126c1f2c26" TYPE="ext4"
      /dev/sda5: UUID="85468a7d-3908-4bcc-95fa-b78d3149caa9" TYPE="swap"

mike@oslo:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 120.1 GB, 120060444672 bytes
      255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14596 cylinders
      Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
      Disk identifier: 0xfd4fdec7

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
      /dev/sda1 * 1 14227 114278346 83 Linux
      /dev/sda2 14228 14596 2963992+ 5 Extended
      /dev/sda5 14228 14596 2963961 82 Linux swap / Solaris

mike@oslo:~$ cat /etc/fstab

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
      #
      # Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
      # for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
      # devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
      #
      # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
      proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
      # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
      UUID=b68b2782-3cdb-4394-8f23-2f126c1f2c26 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
      # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
      UUID=85468a7d-3908-4bcc-95fa-b78d3149caa9 none swap sw 0 0
      /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

mike@oslo:~$

Comment

The files all look good.

Are you using the RT-patched kernel? I really don't know anything about it, except that I have heard of problems like this with it.

The only thing I can think of is that the initramfs is being configured with something incompatible with the current kernel. You might try:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.31-11-generic
        sudo update-grub

That should write a new initrd, or give you some errors explaining why it can't.
        We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I'm not using anything special. Just updated Karmic along the way as normal since kernel 30-8.

I have tried:
          sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.31-11-generic
          sudo update-grub

I did not get any errors during the reconfigure. But the problem persists.

Comment

The only time I have run into problems with this is when I played around, i.e. unplugging and plugging in again, with hard disks. While UUIDs were still okay initramfs got its knickers in a twist (don't ask me how).

So if I were you I'd at least try to generate a new initramfs and see whether it works again
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

So if I were you I'd at least try to generate a new initramfs and see whether it works again
              The dpkg-reconfigure should have done that.

Just for the fun of it, from the "maintenance shell", try

Code:
              fsck /dev/sda1
              And see what it spits out.

About the only other thing I can think of left is an initialization script failure.
              When you get to the "maintenance shell", try the following:

Code:
              start udev
              start network-manager
              start dbus
              start hal
              start kdm

Comment

[toad] mentioned about moving HDDs. When I first install Karmic there was a second drive (IDE) on the system which has my home dir data. Once Karmic was installed on the SATA drive, I moved the data across and unplugged the power and disabled IDE in the bios. Everything then worked fine using the 30-8 kernel.

Anyway, I think I'm going to backup the home directory over my network and reinstall the beta.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Just tried reinstall from live cd downloaded today.

Installation fails on disk partition. I don't think it is detecting the SATA drive. The partition table is emply. No error message comes up. Just half an icon showing a yellow triangle. Clicking the buttons does nothing.

There is only one HDD (a SATA Samsung SP1213C set as first sata master). And a CDROm on the Primary IDE master. The motherboard is an ASUS K8-N4 E Deluxe.

Comment

It looks like you (inadvertently) installed Grub on that IDE drive, at the time of Karmic installation.

Assuming the SATA drive appears in your BIOS, all you need to do is boot a Live CD (I would recommend a pre-Karmic Linux, and stick with legacy Grub), and then follow Qqmike's guidance to install Grub on the SATA drive's MBR:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

Comment

Dibl,

I don't think this applies in my case because the original install worked fine after the IDE drive was removed. And, I still have a fully working KDE system, just on the 30-8 series Kernel.

It seems that Karmic really does not like my setup, because my attempt to wipe everything and start from scratch has also been thwarted by the SATA drive being undetected by the Kubuntu installer at the partitioning stage (using the very latest live Beta CD).

If nothing had ever worked then I would have probably put it down to a hardware issue but the fact that I have a working system on an earlier version points to something broken in the newer releases.

Comment

Just for the fun (?) of it, you might try downloading a sidux live cd, and see if it detects your disk. The most recent one has a --.31 kernel on it, so if it sees your disk, then the problem lies elsewhere than the kernel itself.

http://sidux.com/module-mirrors.html

Comment

Working...
                        X