X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB Printer not detected in Karmic

Hi there
    This error has, reluctantly, made me go back to Jaunty.
    Apparently this is a reported issue:

http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-b...sg1660384.html

Being unable to print anything is a bit of a show-stopper for me Has anyone else encountered this?

Thnx

ian

Re: USB Printer not detected in Karmic

I'm having the same problem here !!, I was giving myself a bad headache here, never had printer problems before. Yes, my printer is connected to USB same as the OP.

Before to add a printer I'd go to the cups website based configuration page, and select add printer and all the information I needed came down in dropdown boxes. This time around nothing is found, I'm assuming its the USB detection bug as posted in the link by the OP. My Canon MP-150 printer works perfectly in Windows, Ubuntu 9.10, and Kubuntu 9.04.

And yes its the same as Liquidator, it's a serious showstopper, if I can't get a printer to work, sadly it's back to Windows for me.

Please can anyone else confirm this is happening to them also?, or anyone know a way to fix it?.

Thanks so much .

Comment

Bear in mind that Karmic is still alpha software - in the bug postings I have seen the developers have indicated a fix has been implemented upstream so by the time the final version is available (it is after all a month away) I imagine it will have been fixed. However, for me, it's too soon to make the upgrade.

I am intrigued by your comment though Callum. If your printer works perfectly in Kubuntu Jaunty and (even) in ubuntu karmic, I wonder why you see that as grounds to revert to windows?

Comment

UPDATE:
        After a reboot the system don't seem to keep these settings so the procedure needs to be repeated, for now.
        -----------------------

OK your not going to believe this I read up some more following that link you posted and finally got my printer working !!...

This is the main bug link,
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ps/+bug/420015

What I did to fix it, I'm not sure if its a 'permanent' fix, I'll post again next time I reboot...here goes (do this at your own risk, I'm just posting what I did as I was about to give up on Kubuntu, until final release).

I typed into Konsole,
        Code:
        lsusb
        I got back,

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
        Bus 002 Device 009: ID 04a9:1709 Canon, Inc. PIXMA MP150 Scanner
        Bus 002 Device 008: ID 046d:c211 Logitech, Inc. iTouch Cordless Reciever
        Bus 002 Device 006: ID 5543:0004 UC-Logic Technology Corp. Genius MousePen 5x4 Tablet
        Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0c45:1dbd Microdia
        Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
        Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0451:1446 Texas Instruments, Inc. TUSB2040/2070 Hub
        Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
        Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
        Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
        Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
        Bus 003 Device 003: ID 062a:0107 Creative Labs
        Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0ac8:305b Z-Star Microelectronics Corp. ZC0305 Webcam
        Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

This line from above is the one I'm interested in,
        Code:
        Bus 002 Device 009: ID 04a9:1709 Canon, Inc. PIXMA MP150 Scanner
        Back to Konsole, using the '002' and '009' respectively I typed the following (Change the '002' BUS and '009' DEVICE as it appears on the readout you get from Konsole for your own printer),

Code:
        sudo chgrp lp /dev/bus/usb/002/009
        sudo chmod 664 /dev/bus/usb/002/009
        After doing this, I went to the CUPS web based configuration page (http://localhost:631/), clicked administration, then 'add printer', at some point I had to enter my system login information, after this I saw my printer listed !!. Printing the test page was successful.

Thanks for pasting that bug link, without that I would never have found any of this out .

Really hope this works for others experiencing the same.

p.s.

My comment about Windows, was just what I would have to do if my printer won't work (I mean going back as a backup, temporarily) , I don't see going backwards an option, to Jaunty, although IMO 9.04 was an amazing release, as oneday I'll have to upgrade, and sadly Ubuntu seems to have broken pulseaudio on my system, and unistalling Pulseaudio removes the tray sound icon, without the mixer loaded in the tray like previous versions, I have no volume control on my keyboard, which I use to watch movies with, like a huge remote .

Comment

Thank you for posting that, Callum75 -- that's going to help some folks, I would think.

Comment

Yes, I read through that link as well. I had stuff I needed to print as a matter of urgency for my brothers forthcoming wedding so whilst I would normally have invested the time in investigating this I am ashamed to say I took the line of least resistance

Comment

Working...
            X