This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Suspend/resume - narrowing down the problem

I'm having trouble with suspend/resume on my laptop. Mostly Karmic is working pretty well, but on resume, the panel at the bottom of the screen disappears, and hotkeys (like the alt-f2 command shortcut) and my hotkey for Yakuake don't work. Or, more strictly, the panel and the command window popups seems to be there, but invisible and unusable.

This seems to be really difficult to debug. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can best provide information to Launchpad?

EDIT: Okay, I'm narrowing this down! I've been following suspend/resume debugging guides like this one, without much success. What I've now managed to discover is that the reason Kubuntu is unusable and unresponsive on resume is something to do with compositing. If I toggle compositing off and on again with Alt-Shift-F12, I can use my system. That little glitch is totally something I could live with.

HOWEVER! what I'm now finding is that I've no wireless connectivity after resume. I use wicd as my network manager and after resume it reports seeing no networks. If I run iwconfig this reports the correct ESSID, but all the measurements (link quality, signal level etc.) are at zero, and 'access point' says 'Not-Associated'.

I'd be incredibly grateful if anyone has any suggestions for how I can sort the wireless on resume. I've already tried killing wicd at suspend, and reloading it at resume, according to these instructions and that didn't work.

Re: [UPDATED - but still need help] Suspend/resume - narrowing down the problem

Hi,

sorry if i can't be of any help.

Does your laptop have a wireless kill switch? does turning it off and then on back again solves it?

Last two times i tried to suspend all i had was a black screen on resume so i kinda stop using that.

Best wishes
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch)
    Release: 14.04
    Codename: trusty

Comment

sometimes my wireless does the same thing (but not on resume, thankfully)...I do a
      Code:
      sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
      sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
      to get it working again. Check to make sure your wireless interface is wlan0...

mm0
      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Thanks very much for the suggestions everyone. For some reason, the .9 kernel update seems to have fixed the problem. I still need to do the quick compositing wiggle after restarting, but it is now quickly finding the wifi again.

Comment

Working...
        X