X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] USB Storage

Hi,

today i was trying to plug my 4GB Memory Stick and got a strange Behaviour.
    The device notifier was constantly blinking and it couldn't mount the drive.
    i also noted the same behaviour when i plug my Mobile Phone to the laptop

Syslog Errors
    Code:
    Jun 22 17:10:05 zen-mobile usb_id[24914]: unable to access '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-8/1-8:1.0/host2/target2:0:0/2:0:0:0/block/sdb'
    Jun 22 17:10:05 zen-mobile usb_id[24940]: unable to access '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-8/1-8:1.0/host2/target2:0:0/2:0:0:0/block/sdb'
    Jun 22 17:10:05 zen-mobile usb_id[24978]: unable to access '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-8/1-8:1.0/host2/target2:0:0/2:0:0:0/block/sdb'
    Jun 22 17:10:05 zen-mobile usb_id[25014]: unable to access '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-8/1-8:1.0/host2/target2:0:0/2:0:0:0/block/sdb'
    Jun 22 17:10:05 zen-mobile usb_id[25038]: unable to access '/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb1/1-8/1-8:1.0/host2/target2:0:0/2:0:0:0/block/sdb'

dmesg output
    Code:
    [27047.173586] sdb: sdb1
    [27047.371462] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] 7897087 512-byte hardware sectors: (4.04 GB/3.76 GiB)
    [27047.372505] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [27047.373954] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [27047.373960] sdb: sdb1
    [27047.470969] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] 7897087 512-byte hardware sectors: (4.04 GB/3.76 GiB)
    [27047.471454] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [27047.473203] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [27047.473208] sdb: sdb1
    [27047.524215] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] 7897087 512-byte hardware sectors: (4.04 GB/3.76 GiB)
    [27047.524704] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [27047.525828] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
    The same memory stick works fine in Winblows XP.
    Can't figure if it is a kernel problem, permissions or anything else

Thanks,
    should i submit a error report?
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch)
    Release: 14.04
    Codename: trusty

Re: USB Storage

Is this the first time you plugged this stick into your Kubuntu system? Or is this a new problem on a stick that previously worked?

"unable to access" looks like a hardware or permissions problem. Is this a FAT16 or FAT32 filesystem? You might want to stick it in a Windows box and run chkdsk /f on it, to make sure there's not a problem with the filesystem.

With the stick plugged in, you could run lsusb and see if it is seen correctly on the USB bus.

While it is possible that you have some general USB problem, I would kinda doubt that whatever is wrong with the mobile phone is the same as the memory stick issue. Mobile phones are a different can of worms.

Comment

Hi,
      thanks for the reply.

Both the mobile phone and the memory stick worked in JJ and still work with a jj Live CD.

I've already checked the FAT system in windows XP and it's OK.
      The mobile phone charges from the USB and it exhibits the same problem from the pen, in charge mode or file transfer.
      The behaviour it's like it's reseting the usb connection, allways been reconnected, it can that for hours if i don't unplug-it

Here goes the lsusb output
      Code:
      xxxxxx@zen-mobile:~/incoming/src$ lsusb
      Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1307:0163 Transcend Information, Inc. 512MB/1GB Flash Drive
      Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
      BTW, the pen is 4GB, have to check the lsub output later at home with JJ LivedCD

Comment

OK. Well, I just now noticed that you posted under 9.10 -- is that the Kubuntu version that you have installed? Because 9.10 is in pre-Beta development -- I'm not sure how hard you should work at "fixing" it at this stage of development.

Comment

Yes,

I'm allways running unstable kubuntu versions, BTW this is one of the most stable ever.

It is too late now, tomorrow i will try to mount the Memory Stick with JJ Live-CD.

Good night

Comment

Hi,

it seems that on the third USB port it works OK. Strangely my Broadband mobile adapter, a Huawey E-170 works on any USB port.
            Still without time to investigate further.

Comment

That's interesting. I also have a Huawei E-170 and haven't been able to get it to work on anything yet. Ubuntu Jaunty came closest but it doesn't have my country listed. Kubuntu Jaunty and Karmic don't, but after reading your post, I'm going to try all of the USB ports, not just one, to see if there is a difference there. I have an external hard disk, USB, and it seems to work OK so far on Karmic and I have a transend 4G flash disk too, which I think works OK.

What did you do to get the E-170 working?
              HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Hi,

mine is working with nm-applet from network-manager-gnome.

The only thing that i had to configure is the "dial" number from my provider in Portugal that is *99# and apn.

As the DNS's are concerned i used opendns ones.

208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

Comment

I removed nm and install wicd, which is working with my dsl line. I'll try wicd and if that doesn't work, then I might remove it and try nm-gnome. nm-gnome works better in Ubuntu Jaunty than nm does in Kubuntu Jaunty or Karmic. There is another post saying that nm-gnome is better for network connections.

Comment

A high speed device will sometimes have trouble with specific USB ports based on the length of the USB cable from the controller to the port. Are you finding that you highest speed device requires a particular port?

Comment

@hteles Your advice about using nm-gnome meant that I removed wicd and my Karmic started working properly. It's amazing, no more freezes. I'm reluctant to install nm-gnome at the moment as I'm finishing off the upgrade and checking out how well everything else works. I was almost ready to give up on Karmic until later, but now, I'm sticking with it.

My 4G transend flash disk works on all USB ports and my external hard disk, the Huawei E 170 is detected but I haven't got it set up yet.

Amando_hacker It plugs straight in, no cable.

Comment

Hi

i guess that my pen is dying on me, strangely it works in the other bad written OS from the other guys.
                        Today i plugged a friend's pen and got no problems with that. I guess that my problem is solved.

@kevinc,
                        indeed I'm a great fan of network-manager, i do everything with it, Wireless, VPN to my work (although i don't need it - i use ssh with port forwarding more often ), Wired connections, but Never tested DSL with nm.
                        I think that the problem in kubuntu is that the knetworkmanager is somewhat poorly done and the other plasmoid i can't remember the name is some badly poorly done.

I will stick as far as I'm concerned with network-manager and as his frontend, nm-applet.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinc
                          Amando_hacker It plugs straight in, no cable.
                          This info was related to hteles situation with USB port3 supporting a pen drive but not others. The cable I am referring to is inside the computer, connecting the USB controller, probably on the Mboard, to the port, rather than the port to the pendrive. I still think it is quite likely that htele's pendrive is OK and the newer kernel is trying to drive the USB system to it maximum and uncovering weakness in the internal cabling of your computer.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] USB Storage

Hi,

@Mando_hacker

It's a Acer Laptop. It only happens with that pen, tested that already.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X