This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Synaptic Touch Pad not working well in Karmic Alpha 2, freezes

Problem with the touchpad which works well in Jaunty, Intrepid, Hardy and Gutsy.
    First problem - tap to click doesn't work. I like to tap rather than push the button.
    Second problem - in various applications it freezes and nothing can get it to move except reboot.
    Third problem - the zones on the right and bottom for scrolling don't work.
    It seems the only part that works is the navigation and the buttons.
    HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Re: Synaptic Touch Pad not working well in Karmic Alpha 2, freezes sometimes

Hi,

i think the easiest way by now is to install gsynaptic.
    You have to run it at every login but it will allow you to configure your touchpad.

Best Wishes.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch)
    Release: 14.04
    Codename: trusty

Comment

Re: Synaptic Touch Pad not working well in Karmic Alpha 2, freezes sometimes

Many thanks. I'll try it.
      OK. That fixed that tapping, but not the scrolling. I'll keep trying, maybe a reboot?

Comment

Re: [PARTLY SOLVED] Synaptic Touch Pad not working well in Karmic Alpha 2, freezes

Hi,

it's working OK here with gsynaptic.

Comment

Re: [PARTLY SOLVED] Synaptic Touch Pad not working well in Karmic Alpha 2, freezes

Tap is working but I can't get the scroll to work, yet. Did you do anything other that run gsynaptics?
          The horizontal and vertical are selected by default but the circular scroll I left un checked.

Comment

Hi,

yes, i enabled the circular scrolling and it works like vertical scrolling BTW.

Comment

Thanks again. The vertical scrolling is working, but only when I start at the start point of the circular scrolling, not as comfortable or as easy as in Jaunty, but it's now working. I'll see what else I can do.

BTW, I looked at your blog. Very good. I'm impressed.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Synaptic Touch Pad not working well in Karmic Alpha 2, freezes

Hi,

Thank you.
                With my acer aspire 1690 i do not need to enable the circular scrolling to get vertical scrolling working. At least it's partially working :P

Comment

I would now say that the synaptics touch pad is fully working in Karmic, although maybe not as well as it works in Jaunty and the previous releases.

The problem of freezing was not related to synaptic, but due to wicd, it just happened that when downloading updates, it froze and as I was using the touchpad at the same time, I mistakenly thought it was the touchpad. Now I'm only using pppoeconf and pon dsl-provider, no more system freezes.

Comment

The latest update of xserver-xorg-input-synaptics really fixed the problem.

Now gsynaptics is not needed. Tap works, scroll works and nothing freezes. No script needed to use the touchpad.

Comment

Indeed

Comment

Working...
                      X