This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED]Japanese file names not displayed correctly [mount options]

I have a file whose name is in Japanese, written with Japanese characters. Here is how the file name looks on my Hardy 8.04 system: (first attached image)

I have copied the file across the network to my Jaunty 9.04 computer. When I list the file on the Jaunty computer, from the Hardy computer across the network, it still looks exactly as shown in the picture above. But when sit at the Jaunty computer and list the same file here is what I see in Konsole: (second attached image)

And here is what I see in Dolphin on the Jaunty computer: (third attached image)

I guess something is wrong with character encoding in my Jaunty system. Every time I list the file from the Hardy computer, across the network, it looks correct as in the first picture no matter which application I use. Every time I list the file from the Jaunty computer is looks wrong, like in the second two pictures.

I want the Japanese characters to be displayed correctly on the Jaunty computer.

I tried changing the character encoding in Konsole, but it just gave me different garbage characters.

Where to look? Help please.

Edit: I also checked in the virtual terminals and it is the same. This is seriously screwy because I know that the bytes which make up the file name have not been altered, and the problem is only in how the characters are displayed.
    Attached Files
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Re: Japanese file names not displayed correctly in Konsole, Dolphin, etc.

This has been driving me bonkers, and I think I finally figured it out.

I think the problem is caused by the way I usually mount network shares. I have been using the command below to mount a (Samba) shared folder:

Code:
    sudo mount //192.168.1.7/SHARENAME /mnt/MOUNTPOINT -o rw,uid=1000,gid=1000,username=USER,password=PASS
    This seemed to work fine but the fact that Japanese characters don't make the trip uncorrupted means something is wrong. Careful reading of the manpage for mount led me to believe that I need an option for CIFS to specify the character encoding to use for the mounted filesystem.

A quick web search turned up the article Mount samba shares with utf8 encoding using cifs - Ubuntu Forums. Everyone who uses CIFS on Kubuntu ought to read and understand the article.

I have now changed my mount command to include the option iocharset=utf8 as shown below, and the problem seems to be solved.

Code:
    sudo mount //192.168.1.7/SHARENAME /mnt/MOUNTPOINT -o username=USER,password=PASS,iocharset=utf8
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
    X