Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safest way of upgrading from Jaunty to Karmic?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safest way of upgrading from Jaunty to Karmic?

Hello guys, it's been awhile!

This is the thing. I want to upgrade from Jaunty to Karmic, but for some personal reasons (and information I've seen in the forums) I do not trust the KPackageKit application with this task.

In fact, I installed Adept Manager to do all my upgrading tasks, but it doesn't show the version upgrade, it only shows up some of the new packages.

So the big question is: what do you guys think is the safest way to do an upgrade in my situation?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Safest way of upgrading from Jaunty to Karmic?

Speaking only from my experiences, I would opt for a fresh installation from a current Karmic LiveCD. I would backup your /home partition, or, if you don't have it in a separate partition, backup your /home directory. I would then use GParted LiveCD to reformat in preparation for installation.

But as said, this approach is based on my experiences with having upgraded Jaunty to Karmic - with less than acceptable results. I found that doing an installation of Karmic 'from scratch' solved the problems I had with an upgrade from Jaunty.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
    X