This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deleting Vista Through Kubuntu.

So I've worked out all the kinks, Kubuntu is running PERFECT for me, Everything i want, Everything i need, So the final step in making the 100% switch to Linux, Deleting my vista partition, How do i do it in Kubuntu, Do i need to download a disk Manager or is there one in here somewhere i'm not seeing?

Re: Deleting Vista Through Kubuntu.

First, backup all important data from Vista to external media.

Next you need to delete the Vista partition, the "C drive", from the hard disk. Don't delete any other partitions unless you know what is in them.

If Vista is installed on the same hard disk as Kubuntu then you will run into problems. Linux can not allow you to alter the partition table of the hard disk it is running from.

You need to boot a live CD. The GParted Live CD is probably a good one to use.

Partitioning your hard disk can be risky. Make sure that any data you care about has been backed up to external media. It is also a good idea to unplug any external drives you may have before running the partition editor.

After the Vista partion is deleted then you can expand your Kubuntu partition into the "unpartitioned space".
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
      Partitioning your hard disk can be risky.
      I think the most simple and safe way is to delete files from Vista partition and use it as a second disk drive with NTFS from Kubuntu or reformat it from Kubuntu to Ext3.
      Be sure that you use Grub for starting Kubuntu. If you need Windows boot loader to boot Kubuntu it is not so easy to get rid of Vista - it depends on the way you installed Kubuntu as a second operating system.
      Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Originally posted by josefko
        If you need Windows boot loader to boot Kubuntu it is not so easy to get rid of Vista - it depends on the way you installed Kubuntu as a second operating system.
        Good point. If Kubuntu is installed with Wubi then deleting Windows will also delete Kubuntu.
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
        X