This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox/Gimp/Others Drop downs and other menus blacked out

I have no use at all of Firefox and Gimp because the backgrounds of not only the drop down menus, but the buttons, URL and Google boxes are blacked out, with black text. I can't figure it out. The problem is not to be solved in Appearance settings or any others that I can find, and I'm getting frustrated. Any advice?
    I decided that since it is not specific to Firefox, it is not likely that this can't be solved by playing with personas within that application, so I haven't attempted that, although it would be next to impossible anyway because I can't see a damn thing.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Firefox/Gimp/Others Drop downs and other menus blacked out

Sounds like a Theme issue, potentially, both a Desktop Theme and Appearance. What Desktop theme are you running, and what Appearance Theme?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I've been playing with that a little bit. I don't really think that's the case, honestly.
      Switched back to Oxygen / Oxygen, just to check that, and it's the same as when I was using other ones... The only applications that seem to be affected are Firefox and Gimp and it is with parts of these applications that I don't think themes affect anyway...

Comment

Firefox and Gimp are GTK apps (IIRC), originally developed for Gnome. Check K > System Settings > Appearance > GTK+ Appearance and see if you have the default settings.

Attached Files

Comment

When I look at the GTK+ selection (the default selection under Style -> Widget Style is Oxygen.) it is blacked out just like those two apps. I have no ability to adjust it.
          When I click on "Defaults" or "Reset" on the bottom of the window, it reverts to the Oxygen style.
          I tried Un-checking "Apply colors to Non-KDE4 Applications" in the Colors -> Options menu, but to no avail.

I have been thinking about installing Gnome so that I can run that or KDE depending on my mood, and this problem is making me lean more towards that idea.

Thanks for the coaching!

Comment

Oh wait... Just found your screenshot there and realized that I don't even have the GTK+ tab you are referring to. I was looking at Style->Widget Style

Comment

Is this link relevant to my story?
              http://marcosaruj.com/archives/401

Comment

What version of KDE are you using?

Comment

4.2.2, so my last post about that link is irrelevant.

Comment

Has this 'problem' always been present for you in Jaunty, or did it begin later? It's a long shot, but you can try resetting Plasma to its default state.

If you have not made a lot of custom changes to your Desktop, you can try resetting Plasma to it's default. See Rog131's post on Re: Reinitializing kde desktop without losing config files and follow the instructions following Reset only the plasma

Comment

Just installed Jaunty, so it has always been present.
                      I'm going to install he update to 9.10 KK. I was avoiding it because I have heard enough negative things but why not...
                      Adios for now

Comment

I also experienced this problem. I had only seen it in Firefox, but upon reading the first post, checked Gimp and it was present there too.

I think this came up for me as a result of trying to KDE-ify Firefox. I followed a tutorial somewhere, which said to switch the GTK Style to QtCurve. I did that, and upon starting up the computer the next day, the blacked out menus appeared. I switched back to "Use my KDE style in GTK applications" and all is well. I'm not sure what exactly caused the problem, but it appears related to QtCurve.

Comment

Working...
                        X