This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JJ & Huawei stick modem

I've spent much of today trying to install JJ and I like the look of it. Unfortunately I can't follow the posts on how to get my Huawei e160g usb stick modem to work with it, although a number of posts have reported that modem as a "standard".

The post that seemed most likely to help told me to copy usb_modeswitch and usb_modeswitch.conf into folders to which I could not gain access (they were restricted to user & group "root"). No-one had mentioned this and I could not change the permissions from my own user log on. I tried re-installing Kubuntu but it wouldn't allow me to without defining a user for myself, which, by definition, didn't allow me access to "root".

There were several other posts but none of them matched the error messages that I kept getting. This has been a rather discouraging first foray into Kubuntu for me but if it won't let me access the internet easily then it's all been a waste of time and there's no point my pursuing it. Surely someone has been able to record precisely the steps that I need to take to get my system working?

I'm not an idiot, by the way. I did once produce a Word Processing program for a small, less-popular home PC. I understand programming principles but MS-DOS was the last command line editor I used. I've never touched Linux, Ubuntu or C++ so when I read a set of "instructions" (or tips) I tend to follow them exactly. If they contain misspellings or other minor errors that an "expert" would recognise as being obviously incorrect I would not be able to spot them nor make any necessary adjustments myself.

I hope someone out there can help.
    Thanks

Re: JJ & Huawei stick modem

From a console, to gain root privileges, just preface the command with sudo

For example, if you needed to copy a root owned file (or copy to a root owned directory), you would type:
    Code:
    sudo cp source_file destination_file
    You will be prompted for your password. If you are not in the directory where the source_file is located and/or the destination_file directory, then you will of course, need to include the path from/to each.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Welcome to the party

Here are some basic ways of gaining root access:

open up the klauncher with alt + F2 and do:
      Code:
      kdesudo kate
      and give your password.

this will open up the kate editor in root mode.

Or do:
      Code:
      kdesudo dolphin
      or
      Code:
      kdesudo konqueror
      and give your password.

This will open up the dolphin file manager resp. konqueror in root.

Beware of editing and or changing things in root !!!!
      Especially when you are doing stuff in your home folder.
      This can result in changes to permissions in /home.
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks for your replies, guys. Unfortunately, although your tips worked my Huawei modem did not get me connected to the internet using Kubuntu. The little light on the modem did begin to flash when I plugged it in but no messages appeared suggesting that I was either connected or that an error had occurred. Anyone got any ideas as to what I need to do to get this up and running?
        Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X