This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Configuring KDE from CLI

Well, it's me with another hardware question. My hardware really must not like Linux... I've had display problems (been corrected with a custom version of X) and wireless card problems (been corrected with custom madWifi drivers). However, all I'm trying to do this time is install a new desktop theme! Anyone know how to do this from CLI?

And yes, I have looked at other peoples' problems that are similar to mine, their issues seem to be remedied by a certain CLI path that my PC does not want to run.

My speculation is that my custom version of X is causing GCC to return errors and not compile the install file properly. Any confirmations/denials?

Re: Configuring KDE from CLI

I'm just wondering why you'd even bother trying to do this when you can just click on the desktop cashew and choose Desktop Settings. I mean, desktop themes are ... well ... graphical, and the CLI ... well ... ain't!

Comment

Originally posted by TuxLove
      I'm just wondering why you'd even bother trying to do this when you can just click on the desktop cashew and choose Desktop Settings. I mean, desktop themes are ... well ... graphical, and the CLI ... well ... ain't!
      because:
      1. gui is not quite repeatable. if you want to change 100 settings, or to change settings for 100 computers, you can easily reuse your work or script your work if you're using CLI. But for GUI you need to click and move your mouse 100*N times, and you still will made mistakes when using GUI.

2. gui is not quite inspectable, if you can start your kde you can change settings for kde in gui. But what if your kde cannot start due to an incorrect setting? You must use your CLI to correct the setting...

Comment

I use the CLI for admin over SSH and Telnet all the time and love it. I wouldn't mind knowing a bit about how to change some of the KDE settings that way - but I don't. That said, using the GUI it's 3 clicks (4 including save) to change theme. Doesn't system settings work for you?

Comment

Ah, that makes sense!

OK, checking out a new theme on my machine I see the actual download has been added to its own directory under
          ~/.kde/share/apps/desktoptheme

and updates to activate it have been made to
          ~/.kde/share/config/plasmarc
          as follows;

Code:
          [Theme]
          name=neon-plasma-glow-by-FRUiT
          If I log out and change that to another downloaded theme (in this case "SirK")

Code:
          [Theme]
          name=SirK
          when I log back in the new theme is activated.

Does that help?

Comment

Originally posted by Nohtanhoj
            However, all I'm trying to do this time is install a new desktop theme! Anyone know how to do this from CLI?
            There is a CLI tool to install/upgrade/remove plasma components called 'plasmapkg'
            Unfortunately it isn't fully documented yet (doesn't seem to have a man page), see 'plasmapkg --help' for options.

For installing a (downloaded) desktoptheme, you can try
            plasmapkg -t theme -i <packagefile>

Haven't used it for desktopthemes, but I have tried it previously on a plasma-widget.

Comment

I'll definitely try plasmapkg and let you guys know if it works. I probably won't get the time until Friday or so...

Comment

Working...
              X