This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blocked

I got another set of blocked updates in kpackagekit.

I applied my usual fix: sudo aptitude update and sudo atitude full-upgrade

In trying to understand what the "blocked" means, I searched the archives but could find only means to get around the "blocked" and no real explanation of why the updates are blocked.

The only explanation I could rationalize is that the updates (usually new kernals) could make some s/w quit working and so the Kubuntu people decided to notify users, but make the users jump through hoops to get the updates. I assume that they then assume that the user understands what (s)he is doing and why.

Well I understand the how, but not fully the why.

It would seem that if the Kubuntu people want to inform, then why not not include language in Kpackagekit fully explaining what is going on and a message about how to install if desired or how to make the list of blocked updates just go away without installing. As it is, if I don't install, I keep getting notified and the blocked updates just sit in the list and never go away which makes me nervous that they want me to do something, but wont explain what since they assume I know.

Is there a full explanation of what is happening somewhere??

Re: blocked

Originally posted by geezer

Well I understand the how, but not fully the why.
    To keep you from breaking your system?

Comment

Generally, as I understand it, when a package is blocked, it is because the package has dependencies that themselves have not yet been upgraded and/or placed into the repositories. But as dibl stated, it's to prevent BREAKAGE of your system.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

As I understand it from a tech guy I know. He said that kernel upgrades are not usually automatic. That it's up to the user to decide. Some things have to be reinstalled with kernel upgrades, for example, if you installed video drivers. I have to do this on my system. He told me to try sudo aptitude update then sudo aptitude safe-upgrade. He said it works on most systems. It worked on mine. Still had to reinstall the nvidia drivers though. He warned me not to use kpackagekit for anything until it is developed better. It is coming along though. Synaptic will do the upgrade as well. I did sudo apt-get dist-upgrade on my other laptop with no problems.
        Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Comment

Blocked updates just got stranger for me - the latest blocked updates are for WINE 1.1.31.

Booted the wine configuration program and checked the version number - 1.1.31

I assume that the configuration program version number is the same as for the binary emulator.

If that is true, the latest blocked update is to s/w that kpackagekit updated previously.

Strange.

Comment

no not so strange.......for instence in the past 2 week's I'v goten my kernel updated 3-4 times all with the same ver.

an update is just that a update to the ver. thats instaled.......as a developer refins his code and fixes a new found securety hole or just some way to make somthing better (lol) a update will be releced.

an UPGRADE will take you to the next ver.

hope this help's the confushon and not adding to it .....LOL

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              To keep you from breaking your system?
              While this makes sense I have found that whenever KPackageKit reports updates as blocked I can install them without problem using Synaptic and, so far, have seen no adverse effects.

So is KPackageKit right or Synaptic?

Does Synaptic use 'brute force' and therefore not to be trusted?
              Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

My guess is that Synaptic just uses aptitude in the background which gladly does the update.

When I get the blocked updates message in kpackagekit, I look at what is blocked. Thus far I haven't seen anything that seems reasonable to block. This may just be my ignorance since there is zero explanation of why the packages are blocked. And no I haven't really seen any explanation above other than vague hand waving which is probably all that can be done in general. Specifics would be needed for particular packages.

If the packages are going to be blocked specific explanation should be given when the package is blocked otherwise blocking it just creates more confusion and chaos.

Thus, in all instances of blocked packages in the past I have simply done the

"sudo aptitude update"

"sudo aptitude full-upgrade"

and the blocked packages are neatly installed and kpackagekit ceases annoying me, which is really all the blocked package message does. I assume that kpackagekit or the developer or somebody doesn't think the package should be installed, but that the user should be notified of the fact that it can be installed, but shouldn't be installed. If they are going to go to all that trouble to annoy the user, then why not provide an explanation and let the user make an informed decision. The current practice of simply annoying the user seems counterproductive.

I have experienced zero problems to date (other than having to recompile some VirtualBox component - about 2 or 3 minutes).

Comment

In my experience with Karmic Koala I haven't noticed any blocked updates, perhaps KPackageKit is becoming more robust as it develops.

Comment

Originally posted by quarkslot

In my experience with Karmic Koala I haven't noticed any blocked updates, perhaps KPackageKit is becoming more robust as it develops.
                    Seems I was wrong about this, on Karmic when KPackageKit can't resolve a dependency it fails silently! Oh joy.

Look out for this if you decide to upgrade; either that or install updates from the shell or using Synaptic.

Comment

Seems I was wrong about this, on Karmic when KPackageKit can't resolve a dependency it fails silently! Oh joy.

Look out for this if you decide to upgrade; either that or install updates from the shell or using Synaptic.
                      Would seem to be a very good reason not to upgrade to Karmic. I am now getting dunning messages from Kpackagekit to do so. One wonders what they were thinking about.

Comment

Try
                        Code:
                        man aptitude
                        and look at the difference between full-upgrade and safe-upgrade. That is what is giving you blocked packages.

Comment

Working...
                        X