This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

files ending in ~ specifically about Dropbox

So I have no idea where to put this question. First off, I'm assuming duplicate files that end in ~ are cached files kinda like windows creates a hidden duplicate file when you open a word document etc? Is that what linux does? Then why when I close the file it doesn't go away. Specifically, I'm trying to sync my "programs" folder via dropbox, which works perfectly fine, but it also copies over the <filename>~ files which is annoying. Is there either a way to not make dropbox copy those or make them remove themselves?

Re: files ending in ~ specifically about Dropbox

No, they are 'backups' of files of the same name.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What (software) is creating the backups? How do I get it to stop, backing up files in a folder that's synced to the internet doesn't make any sense.

Comment

'backup' was a poor choice of wording. When a file is 'modified', a copy of the original is made with the same name but a ~ appended to the file name. This permits one to 'go back' to the file as it was before the current modification. This happens every time the 'base' file gets modified. So there can only be a single occurrence of a ~ appended file for any modified file.

Comment

That makes sense. But what's actually controlling all this? I never noticed that happening before I switched to kubuntu. Is there a way to stop it from making those copies either only in a specific directory or system wide?

Comment

I was looking for an answer to that. I know I've seen information on this, but haven't found it - yet.

Comment

If you use Kate, you can turn off automatic backup of modified files. Start Kate. Click on Settings > Configure Kate... > Open/Save > Advanced and under Backup on Save uncheck Local files (and Remote files if checked). Check the configuration for any other editor you use for any similar settings.

Comment

Thanks. I've never used kate before KDE. And I don't really use kate anyway, I work out of kdevelop, but I'm not sure how kdevelop works. Is it just running kate inside it's window or does it have it's own editor? I turned off that setting in kate so I guess I'll just see if it keeps doing it.

Comment

Looks like kdevelop was doing the same thing. I just turned it off the same way, issue fixed.

Thanks

Comment

Look at kdevelop's Settings > Configure settings.

Comment

Working...
                    X