This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Video DVDs

I have VLC Media Player, Dragon Player, and Kaffeine installed. When I put a video DVD in the drive, none of the players will 'autostart' the DVD. Didn't have this issue in Intrepid.

What configuration setting must be edited to get video DVDs to automount and the appropriate player (VLC is the app at the top of the list in File Associations) to start and play the video?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Video DVDs

What configuration setting must be edited to get video DVDs to automount and the appropriate player (VLC is the app at the top of the list in File Associations) to start and play the video?

The KDE 4 is using a device notifier (or manager) plasmoid to present the options for a dvd.

Some of the plasmoids have the option to automount.

But, by my knowledge, there is not (not yet) a plasmoid with an option to autoplay. They all need two clicks: click #1 - show options (players), click #2 start the play.

More:

(Jaunty)
    > Re: Jaunty Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.2 - FINAL
    > Device notfier action - open DVD with Kaffeine, VLC and SMPlayer.
    > Device notfier action - play audio CD with the Kaffeine
    > A notifier for the blank CD and DVD

(Karmic)
    > Topic: blank cd's not mounting
    > Topic: Device Notifier Problems with KDE 4.xxx

(Future ?)
    > device notifier work for 4.4
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks Rog131! That was what I was missing. I didn't have the Device Notifier widget installed. That Jaunty doesn't automagically play video DVDs is okay. At least with the installed widget I'm notified that the disc was inserted and I have options as to what to do with it. That works.

One thing though: The widget only has the Dragon Player as the app to play the DVD. I have VLC and Kaffeine installed, and I'd prefer that the widget offered VLC instead of Dragon Player. Can that be tweaked?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        One thing though: The widget only has the Dragon Player as the app to play the DVD. I have VLC and Kaffeine installed, and I'd prefer that the widget offered VLC instead of Dragon Player. Can that be tweaked?
        System Settings -> Advanced -> File Associations -> Video ...

Comment

Done that already. It doesn't change Dragon Player being the only player option in the widget.

Comment

The widget only has the Dragon Player as the app to play the DVD. I have VLC and Kaffeine installed, and I'd prefer that the widget offered VLC instead of Dragon Player. Can that be tweaked?
            Yes, > An example: Adding the VLC player to the Device Actions

If you want to remove something from the Device Actions (Dragon Player) move the dragonplayer-opendvd.desktop from the directory /usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions.

Comment

Again, Rog131, you come through with a qualified answer!

I've created my own .desktop file for VLC, but the location of the .desktop files are found in /usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions and not in ~/.kde/share/apps/solid/actions/ as cited in your link.

paul@laptop:~$ ls ~/.kde/share/apps/solid/actions/
              ls: cannot access /home/paul/.kde/share/apps/solid/actions/: No such file or directory
              Rebooted, and there's my VLC entry in the notifier. Select it and click on OK and voila, my DVD plays with VLC. Cool. 8)

Comment

The /usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions is for the all users and as it is under the /usr... it needs the root rights.

The ~/.kde/share/apps/solid/actions is for a user. If you are using the KDE 4.2, or with the KDE 4.3 before you use the "Device Actions" tool (System Settings > Advanced > Device Actions), there won't be the ~/.kde/share/apps/solid/actions directory. You could make it and use it without root rights.

Comment

That's clear. I created the new .desktop file 'by hand' and not through the Device Actions GUI. That explains why the ~/.kde/share/apps/solid/actions/ directory did not exist.

I'm happy enough to leave the new .desktop file in /usr/share/kde4/apps/solid/actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
                    The KDE 4 is using a device notifier (or manager) plasmoid to present the options for a dvd.
                    Some of the plasmoids have the option to automount.
                    hey, how do you get to that second settings screen?
                    [img width=400 height=210]http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1505/settingsil.png[/img]

Right click on the Device Notifier icon on the panel only gives me the option ot set up keyboard shortcuts. No options for automount.

[img width=400 height=171]http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/9404/devnotifier.png[/img]
                    Dont pretend you havent noticed my cardboard box, Julia, because I know you have!

Comment

Re: [RESOLVED] Video DVDs

Better later than never...

Posted by: devnulljp
                      Posted on: December 14, 2009, 01:42:34 am

hey, how do you get to that second settings screen?
                      I'm using the "Device Manager". Earlier > Topic: Kubuntu Karmic does not mount USB device automatically. >> Device Manager.

The "Device Manager" is merged to the "Device Notifier" in the KDE 4.4 ( > device notifier work for 4.4).

Binaries can be found from the PPA /1/ repositories > Show PPAs matching: plasma-widget-device-manager.

/1/ > FAQ: Repositories & Using the PPA repositories

Comment

Working...
                      X