This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wine not working properly, and brightness control [Solved]

Very well, it's been already a couple of weeks using kubuntu as my main OS, and I'm quite happy with it.
    BUT I do have some weird problems, and maybe someone here could show me the light ^^"

First thing, my Wine doesn't seem to work properly. While it opens the first time(even the configuration part), it won't run for a second time anymore before I reset the machine.
    I can't access the C: drive, it tells me it couldn't find it. And even when I'm using the emulated desktop it stops working, and I have to kill the process to end it.
    I already searched the forum for it, and somebody said the problem could be related to desktop effects (I disabled everything, but still no response), and the best way to solve this was using another desktop environment, so I installed fluxbox; but the thing is, I'm not used to fluxbox, and when I try to open the terminal it just dont, so I'm kind of lost there.

And second, Kubuntu Jaunty comes with a nice plasmoid to show me the current charge of the laptop's battery. When I click it it shows me a few options, and a bar saying "screen brightness". Well, I usually like to reduce the brightness of the screen here and it would be very useful, but it simply doesn't work. Perhaps it has something to do with my graphics card (a nVidia nForce 6100GO), but even so, there isn't any way to make this work?

And as a side note: why do I need to hit "^" twice in my keyboard for the character to show up? I could get used to it, but it's not practical in any way o-o

Re: Wine not working properly, and brightness control

Originally posted by gnuoykun
    First thing, my Wine doesn't seem to work properly....
    can you please post a bit of info about wine, how did you install it , what version are you using,
    wine --version (in a term), perhaps some programs you have tried.
    ...nice plasmoid to show me the current charge of the laptop's battery. When I click it it shows me a few options, and a bar saying "screen brightness".......,but even so, there isn't any way to make this work?
    there could be a few reasons for this you video card, an issue w/ acpi , your display itself, that part of the plasmoid could just be broken, if you laptop has a hot key for it (my dell was fn+ and down) i would suggest trying that.and seeing if you can do the brightness that way

And as a side note: why do I need to hit "^" twice in my keyboard for the character to show up? I could get used to it, but it's not practical in any way o-o
    can't help you there..

Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
      First thing, my Wine doesn't seem to work properly....
      can you please post a bit of info about wine, how did you install it , what version are you using,
      wine --version (in a term), perhaps some programs you have tried.
      ...nice plasmoid to show me the current charge of the laptop's battery. When I click it it shows me a few options, and a bar saying "screen brightness".......,but even so, there isn't any way to make this work?
      there could be a few reasons for this you video card, an issue w/ acpi , your display itself, that part of the plasmoid could just be broken, if you laptop has a hot key for it (my dell was fn+ and down) i would suggest trying that.and seeing if you can do the brightness that way

can't help you there..
      Uhum, I just installed wine via synaptic, and it's version 1.1.31. I have tried some games here that I saw that should work at the appdb; if it helps, my wine/programs folder at the kickoff app laucher only shows notepad, even after I installed 3 of those games (names: POD, Total Anihilation: Kingdoms, and Constructor - at least TAK should be working 100%)

Yes, I do have the FN+F8 and F9 to control some brightness, but I wanted to see if I could use the plasmoid, for it would be much quicker and practical since I'm not always close to the keyboard to change trough there. It's not much of a problem, but since it's there I wanted to see how I could make it work ^^"

and thanks for your attention sithlord48

Comment

its good to see that you check on the appdb to see if they work w/ wine... , it should be noted that your version of wine( 1.1.31) is not considered the stable version (and also tells me you have installed the wine repo), that being said, some programs will have regressions..(sad as that is)

does notepad run ?

also could you post some more info about your machine output of uname -a , a bit of info about your video card and its drivers. since your trying to run games.

i would try some other programs that don't require the use of your video card, to make sure things are working correctly. (i can vouch for imgburn)

also try to run your game from the command line (you will get error output)
        [code=how run from cli]$ wine '<path to exe>'[/code] mind the ' ' there important, and your "C" drives path (incase you don't know) is /home/<username>/.wine/drive_c/

chances are you could be missing some dll, causing the program to not run

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
          its good to see that you check on the appdb to see if they work w/ wine... , it should be noted that your version of wine( 1.1.31) is not considered the stable version (and also tells me you have installed the wine repo), that being said, some programs will have regressions..(sad as that is)

does notepad run ?

also could you post some more info about your machine output of uname -a , a bit of info about your video card and its drivers. since your trying to run games.

i would try some other programs that don't require the use of your video card, to make sure things are working correctly. (i can vouch for imgburn)

also try to run your game from the command line (you will get error output)
          [code=how run from cli]$ wine '<path to exe>'[/code] mind the ' ' there important, and your "C" drives path (incase you don't know) is /home/<username>/.wine/drive_c/

chances are you could be missing some dll, causing the program to not run
          Well, I tried installing the stable version today, and finally things started to work o/
          It seems the newer version just froze when I tried closing the emulated window, and also when some application ran. Strangely Notepad did run.
          And on the newer version it's the same as the stable: the shortcut to C: tries to point to /home/<username>/documents/.wine/drive_c/, so that's the reason I could not get to it.

Either way, thanks a lot for your help; I was already able to run stuff here, and I'll probably help the appdb with reports on the softwares/games I have ^^
          I'll mark this as solved.

Comment

Re: Wine not working properly, and brightness control [Solved]

We have the same situation on the C drive tab with wine in 9.04 for at least 1.1.28 through 1.1.31 in that the KDE tab links to /home/<username>/documents/.wine/drive_c when it should link to /home/<username>/.wine/drive_c ... feedback to a query on the wine forums is that this is a distro install setting not wine. The same versions of wine install OK with 8.04, so the comment seems valid. We also have certain windows programs that will install, but not run, because they cannot find files after the install, possibly related to a link misdirection ... is it possible that a $variable in the 9.04 KDE is set to /home/<username>/documents when it should be /home/<username>?
            "You, sir are no gentleman!"
            "I knew there was something about me that I liked."
            Commander Vimes, Jingo, by Terry Pratchett

Linux User (# 368182) since 1996
            Unix initiated on SCO Xenix from 1992 <Pobody's nerfect>

Comment

@nadrach
              its possible that there is a var for <drive_c path>. i will check on my machine when i get home

@gnuoykun
              good to see you have things working

Comment

the only place i see to config wine, is winecfg(configure wine in kmenu)
                check your drives tab to see where your C: is, mine for example is set to ../harddiskvolume0 (my path is /home/<usr>/.wine/drive_c , btw)

Comment

The C drive in winecfg maps to "../drive_c" which is expecting a link root of "/home/<usr>/.wine/dosdevices", which is what I get on 8.04, but on 9.04 the link root appears to be "/home/<usr>/Documents/.wine/dosdevices" ... this change in the link is associated with the KDE4 setup for the menu selection tab, not with any configuration for wine. Is there some reason why KDE4 5n 9.04 is acting differently to KDE3 on Kubuntu 8.04?

Comment

there shouldn't be a change wine on my 9.04 and my 8.04 machines both point to ~/.wine/drive_C/

Comment

The wine drive C: situation is an unresolved bug associated with the behaviour of the KDE Application launcher and the command specified for the "Browse Drive C:" icon installed by Wine. See:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ne/+bug/223989

there are many threads with queries ever since KDE4 was adopted in 9.04, try either of the following for a possible fix:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3114133.0

or

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1329802

Comment

Working...
                      X