X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flash causing 100% CPU use

Originally posted by Detonate
    As I said earlier, this is on my machines definitely a 64 bit problem and it does not occur on my 32 bit machines. So if this is a big problem for you, see if running the 32 bit version of the OS will work for you.
    Sorry if I missed it above, but are you using the 32bit flash player or the 64bit (beta)? I am using the latter ...

Comment

I'm using the 64 bit player.

Comment

"first change I cant ajust the flash setings but it's stuck on hardware accelleration on.......the setings box coms up but is unresponsive and wont close ....had to reload the page to clear it."

For future reference, if the flash settings appears stuck, click on the flash settings dialog box with your mouse. Then try using the tab key to navigate the tabs in the flash settings dialog box. The options will become outlined in yellow and you will then be able to change tabs and eventually navigate to the close button, at which point you can hit the enter key. The dialog box will close. I found this especially helpful when I accidentally opened this dialog with my touchpad while playing small flash games online.

This does not help you change your flash settings, but it will let you close the dialog and continue using your browser.
        Attached Files
        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
          As I said earlier, this is on my machines definitely a 64 bit problem and it does not occur on my 32 bit machines. So if this is a big problem for you, see if running the 32 bit version of the OS will work for you.
          I don't know if that was directed toward me or not. But while my computer has an AMD Athlon 64 CPU, I have the 32-bit version of Kubuntu installed. So I'm having it happen in a 32-bit OS.

Comment

I have not tried it with a 64 bit machine running the 32 bit OS. Interesting that the problem seems to be tied to the processor and not the OS.

Comment

Not so much so, porting high level code is a matter of recompiling, but porting code hat does low level stuff is not, and I am sure the adobe flash player does a lot of that.

By the way, it's been months since the last refresh of the 64 bit alpha plugin! Hopefully they are going beta soon?

Comment

That being said, you don't happen to have a Cowon D2? Okay, strange question I know, but it's my own favourite mp3-player, and it just so happens that it can natively run flash. So I actually have a number of flash games on it that I play on the go, just ripped out of webpages. Okay, it's a bit out there as a suggestion, but I just noticed this thread in my "unread replies" listings while literally playing a flash-based game on my Cowon D2 that very moment, heh.
                It can do this? I wish I knew this before as I have one. I will definitely be loading games on it as I take a train to school every day and I'm running out of DS games to play.
                Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

With Karmic a week away, I just have to ask if Flash plays nice in Karmic or if it's just as bad as Jaunty?

Comment

Hi,
                    I don't know if this will help anyone, but I had big problems with flash video in Kubuntu 9.10 (32 bit). It was slow, jerky and causing 85-100% cpu usage. I noticed that this was mostly down to Xorg.

The cure was simple and I came across it quite by accident, in display settings, the monitor refresh rate seems to be set to "auto" by default. For my LCD monitor, I set it to 60Hz. Suddenly everything was fine and flashplayer in Firefox works faultlessly in embedded, pop-out and fullscreen modes.

Comment

Working...
                    X