This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

video screens are transparent

Hi all,, Using 64bit kubuntu. Mplayer works fine but when using kplayer, smplayer or any of the front end player for mplayer the screen is transparent. All you see is the wallpaper background. VLC works ok also. I have not been able to find the answer to this. All video players worked for almost a yr, not so now. I have been looking for the reason but have not been able to fix the problem.

Using 9500 nvidia card, amd dual core, 3gigs mem.

Anyone have any ideas on this, thanks

Re: video screens are transparent

This is evidently a problem with mplayer. Have you tried running any of these application from the command line and looking from errors?

Comment

I'm not at all sure what you mean by running them from the camand line. There has been no error messages so far. The players think they are working correctly.

Comment

I mean opening a Konsole from the menu, and typing kmplayer, kplayer or whatever player you use, and see what happens while playing the media (if there is any meaningful output in the konsole)

Otherwise, we don't have enough info to help you ...

Comment

Have you checked the configuration settings for kplayer? Advanced configuration
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

:~$ dragon player
            dragonplayer(14617) Phonon::KdePlatformPlugin::createBackend: using backend: "Xine"
            dragonplayer(14617): Attempt to use QAction "aspect_ratio_menu" with KXMLGUIFactory!
            dragonplayer(14617): Attempt to use QAction "audio_channels_menu" with KXMLGUIFactory!
            dragonplayer(14617): Attempt to use QAction "subtitle_channels_menu" with KXMLGUIFactory!
            [mpeg4 @ 0x28c6f80]Invalid and inefficient vfw-avi packed B frames detected

This is what is in konsole. the movie plays with sound but just a clear window showing whatever is behind it. Kplayer and smplayer are the same. Elisa, mplayer and vlc all work fine.

kplayer
            kplayer(14636): Attempt to use QAction "player_progress" with KXMLGUIFactory!
            kplayer(14636): Attempt to use QAction "audio_volume" with KXMLGUIFactory!
            kplayer(14636): Attempt to use QAction "video_contrast" with KXMLGUIFactory!
            kplayer(14636): Attempt to use QAction "video_brightness" with KXMLGUIFactory!
            kplayer(14636): Attempt to use QAction "video_hue" with KXMLGUIFactory!
            kplayer(14636): Attempt to use QAction "video_saturation" with KXMLGUIFactory!
            kplayer(14636): Attempt to use QAction "player_list" with KXMLGUIFactory!
            kplayer(14636): Shortcut for KAction "options_show_playlist" "&Show Playlist" set with QShortcut::setShortcut()! See KAction documentation.
            kplayer(14636): Shortcut for KAction "options_show_library" "Sho&w Library" set with QShortcut::setShortcut()! See KAction documentation.
            kplayer(14636): Shortcut for KAction "options_show_log" "Show Message &Log" set with QShortcut::setShortcut()! See KAction documentation.

This is kplayer. movies is playing with sound but no picture, just a clear transparent screen showing window that is behind it.

Comment

Yep. Nothing useful unfortunately, but it was worth a shot. I would personally search for "mplayer" in Synaptic and see if I can reinstall it, and perhaps add any mplayer related packages that seem to make sense.

Another thing to try could be to make sure kubuntu-restricted is enabled:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Comment

Did you check Kaffeine? You don't like it and neither VLC?
                Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

kaffine and vlc work fine and that is what I have been using. prefer smplayer but as above, it does not want to work.

will try and see if any thing is missing from mplayer, but mplayer itself works fine. I know it has to be something very simple.

Comment

If you still have this problem try
                    Code:
                    Smplayer > Options > Preferences > General > Video > output driver set to X11 (slow)
                    And post back the results.

[EDIT ::] But I just found out that cairo-dock (with opengl) messes smplayer. Do you use cairo-dock? In my case starting cairo-dock with opengl caused me the results you mentioned above.

Comment

Working...
                    X