X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KPackageKit crashing...

Hi,

I'm a complete newb to kubuntu 9.04 and am having trouble doing some of the simple stuff such as using my wireless card, which doesn't even exist according to kubuntu.

One major problem I'm having is that KPackage Kit is crashing every time I use it. As a result, I can't install any software at all. Is there a way of fixing this or another way of installing altogether?

Another problem I'm having is that my touchpad has developed a mind of its own. Is there software I can get to configure my touchpad?

Thanks.

Re: KPackageKit crashing...

Yes, kpackage is broken in Jaunty, sadly. I recommend Synaptic. Just open Konsole and type

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    For the mousepad: try in System Settings -> Keyboard and Mouse.

Comment

Re: KPackageKit crashing...

Yes, KPackageKit was the subject of my first post too.

Synaptic is far better. They both pull the same packages (programs) from the same place so apart from the fact that one looks good and the other just works, they are both pretty much the same thing.

As for the other problems, sorry but I'm a newb too and so can't help you. I suggest you post them separately as KPackageKit is such a common problem issue for newbs, I doubt the people who know enough to help you with them will even look going off the title of your post.

Stick with it. This is a great OS with a great forum. Post your doubts and people will help. During my first week I re-installed 6 times and my profile says I have sent an average of 2.5 posts per day during the month I've been around here. The simplicity and functionality of this OS is still amazing me. You just gotta change your mental map of how things work.

The commands Imilano wrote should be typed into your 'Terminal Konsole' (black screen).
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install synaptic

Will install 'synaptic' for you.

If you know the name of the package (program) you want to get, this is probably the best way to do it.

Example
      (Open a 'Terminal' and type)
      sudo apt-get install (package name)

If you're straight from Windows you may recognise some of the names

sudo apt-get install firefox
      sudo apt-get install vlc
      sudo apt-get install gparted
      etc etc.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
      X