X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do we have PulseAudio?

ok,

alsa -> replaces oss and is a kernel component that provides drivers for sound cards.( should not be removed )

phonon is a multimedia api in kde4 that can use backends such as gstreamer , xine.etc.

pulseaudio is a sound server.

Comment

Originally posted by marcopl
      ok,

alsa -> replaces oss and is a kernel component that provides drivers for sound cards.( should not be removed )

phonon is a multimedia api in kde4 that can use backends such as gstreamer , xine.etc.

pulseaudio is a sound server.
      You are right, and I was wrong. PulseAudio is not the equivalent in the Gnome world to Phonon. It really can work as a Phonon backend:
      https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ku...il/042243.html

Even in the wording of its author, it is the equivalent to the enlightenment sound server (esd)
      http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/FAQ

I still would like to either: a) Have Phonon become a standard for both KDE and Gnome, or b) have some desktop agnostic API for sound in Linux.

The state of things SUCKS bick time. We need applications to talk to _some_ desktop agnostic API to get sound, record sound and such. Just one API. Then, give me a hundred backend and the choice. I may prefer alsa, she may prefer gstreamer, he may prefer esd, that other girl my prefer pulseaudio. But let the apps talk to the same API regardless, so things are plug and play. Ok, my rant is over

Comment

Originally posted by marcopl
        Originally posted by DanteAshton
        Ok, if I remember corecctly;

Get rid of PulseAudio, install phonon-backend-gstreamer. Go into System Settings, then Multimedia, and change it to GStreamer. Reboot. Everything then should play.

yep, did that...still no sound (mp3) in amarok and audacious. Now no sound frm vlc(mp3) also..... looks like pulseaudio is needed..
        ok. i also installed gstreamer-alsa. i rebooted and now i have sound (mp3s) frm vlc and alsaplayer BUT NO sound frm audacious ( i chose alsa as the output, there was no option for gstreamer?).

So is audacious not gstreamer compatible?

flv sound is ok with vlc.

gstreamer stuff that i have on my laptop;

dpkg-query --list gstreamer*|grep ii
        ii gstreamer0.10-alsa 0.10.22-5 GStreamer plugin for ALSA
        ii gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg 0.10.6.2-1ubuntu2 FFmpeg plugin for GStreamer
        ii gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3 0.10.7.debian-1 Fluendo mp3 decoder GStreamer plugin
        ii gstreamer0.10-plugins-base 0.10.22-5 GStreamer plugins from the "base" set
        ii gstreamer0.10-plugins-good 0.10.14-1ubuntu0.1 GStreamer plugins from the "good" set
        ii gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio 0.10.14-1ubuntu0.1 GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio
        ii gstreamer0.10-tools 0.10.22-1 Tools for use with GStreamer
        ii gstreamer0.10-x 0.10.22-5 GStreamer plugins for X11 and Pango

anything missing?

audacious stuff that i have on my laptop;

dpkg-query --list audacious*
        ii audacious 1.5.1-4ubuntu3 small and fast audio player which supports lots of formats
        ii audacious-plugins 1.5.1-2ubuntu3 Base plugins for audacious
        ii audacious-plugins-extra 1.5.1-2ubuntu3 Various extra plugins for audacious

anything missing?

Comment

About Phonon/Pulseaudio/Gstreamer/Sound/Hardware

With my hardware the default has been working fine.

The default is at here:

Output device: NVidia nForce2 with ALC650F (NVidia nForce2)
          Backend: Phonon Xine backend

Here the installation from the alternate CD didn't install Pulseaudio. I don't need the Gstreamer as the Xine backend is working fine /1/.

Gstreamer and KDE > KDE wiki
          Though KDE may sometimes stray from freedesktop.org standards, such as not adopting GStreamer, KDE developers arguing: GStreamer simply does not offer "a believable API/ABI stability guarantee that covers kde4's lifespan".
          > Backends, Phonon, GStreamer
          > Phonon and gstreamer (KDE developer response)
          > KDE 4.2, gstreamer backend and flac

Puldeaudio and KDE > [SOLVED] KDE4 and PulseAudio

> aseigo:i will not drink the koolaide. (Pulseudio)
          > Pulseaudio: Perfect Setup

Useful link to me > Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers "#6. No Audio."

/1/ There are always exceptions . Sometimes > Bug #372527:ktorrent locks audio device. Opening the lock at here:
          Code:
          sudo /sbin/alsa force-reload
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

well since i needed audacious again, i reinstalled pulseaudio but now i hve lost all sound.... really great...

Comment

I think moving pulseaudio to the bottom in System Settings -> Multimedia would help? I would think, KDE will ignore it, but gnome can use it this way ...

Comment

I found it interesting that AFTER I removed pulseaudio it was still listed in the "Device Preferences" for "Audio Outputs". I moved it to the bottom of the lists in each catagory. It is not in "Audio Capture".
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

i m testing a few more things. will report back.

Comment

Ok guys.

For mp3s

- audacious ok
                    - alsa player ok
                    - vlc ok

For flvs, wma,wmv

- vlc ok
                    - mplayer ok

i finally got audacious working by using various combinations in the output plugin section.

i have no pulseaudio. just gstreamer and phonon. pluseaudio does not appear in system settings-> multimedia.

Comment

interesting, what backedn are you using in phonon? gstreamer I guess? Thanks!

Comment

isn't gstreamer gnome based, thus something to avoid with kde?

I was playing around with PulseAudio today after installing karmic koala earlier

I found PulseAudio listed under Multimedia, but it wasn't working right with Amarok

So I did an install of pulseaudio, pavucontrol, and phonon.

Only issue is that you need to unmute pulseaudio with the pavucontrol before sound plays.

Current multimedia configuration is all Device Preferences with Pulseaudio as primary, and running under the phonon xine backend. It seems to be working fine for now.

Comment

Originally posted by knofbath
                          isn't gstreamer gnome based, thus something to avoid with kde?
                          No, not GNOME or apps based on the GTK+ widget set, but on MONO (which is based on Microsoft's .NET) and apps built with it.

The best way for Linux to lose its desktop marketshare is for it to become dependent on Microsfot's API.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                          X