This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox already running when trying to start it the second time

I am still on my friends PC and he has another small problem. He works around it, but would love to find a way to solve it.

If he closes Firefox on his PC, it looks like it closes. But when he try to open Firefox again, he gets a message that it is already running and to get around this, he has to open the System Monitor, find Firefox and kill it there (yes, i know this can be done from CLI :-) ). Then it is possible to start Firefox again...

He first got this problem in FF 3.0.x and then installed 3.5, but the problem remains.

When the problem started, he was using Kubuntu 9.04, now he is on Kubuntu 9.04, but upgraded KDE to 4.3 rc3. No difference. Just more stable and looking nicer :-) And a lot of other improvements!
    Regards,
    Oceanwatcher
    Blog: http://www.wisnaes.com/
    Pictures: http://www.oceanwatcher.com/
    Software tips (in Norwegian): http://www.datahverdag.com/

Re: Firefox already running when trying to start it the second time

I had this problem when I was using 9.04 rc and it went away after a few updates.
    Others also had this problem and there are a few posts about it. I don't know what update fixed this.
    Check out post by oblekt on 7-19-2009. Problems seems to be locks on Profile

Comment

I'm using kubuntu 9.04 with KDE 4.2.4 and I also have this problem, on both my office PC and my laptop (same OS/DE). The problem appeared after I upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04.
      kubuntu 8.10 = KDE 4.2 did not have that! And interestingly it does not always happen, and I can not see any systematic behavior so far...

Comment

Have you tried disabling add-ons?

Be sure to check the Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread at Ubuntu Forums for other possible solutions.
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

One more to the list here.

I have no idea what causes it under the hood but I have tried different ways of provoking it.

I found that shutting all Firefox windows on all desktops before switching off the PC and allowing it to fully load when I start up - i.e. allow the music to roll and wait a few seconds - the problem does not occur.

Comment

This seems to be a return to an old problem; it is happening in karmic as well.
            Starting with a clean .mozilla, with no extensions, does not solve the problem.
            We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
            X